Broken MP40??

AmatuerAuer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Ecotech MP40s on my 120g DT facing each other. Last week, I came home and one of them was disconnected...no big deal happens all the time. The wet side slides off and falls to the substrate and the dry side stays on the glass.

Well, I placed the wetside back where it belongs and turned it on like I've done a dozen times before. When I turned it on it worked, prop spun etc but the dry side was loud. I confirmed by removing the wet side and turning it on, the dry side alone was making the noise.

So I took the cover off and got down the the silver disk that contains the magnets and ball bearings. With the motor off, I spun the metal disk by hand and could hear it click every time it went past a certain point. The center disk requires an allen wrench to remove but before I go that far I wanted to crowd source an opinion...

Is it possible to fix an MP40's dry side? Has anyone successfully done this before? I'd rather not buy a new one, its barely a year old...

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it can be fixed. Needs new bearings that cost about 20 bucks.

75galOCD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had that problem with the wet side. EcoTech had me use the thicker spacer and it’s fixed? I don’t get it less magnetic coupling and it holds fine but I wonder if I left the thinner spacing I may have damage the dry side bearings?

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By any chance do you have a part number for those bearings?
Thank you

Back when I did this a number of years ago, that was the main issue....picking the "right" bearings. I did extensive research and found that it appeared that hardness didn't necessarily mean the best bearing.....ABEC number, if I remember correctly.....ceramic didn't mean the "best". The best help I can offer is that I did purchase my bearings from Boca bearing.....can't remember order numbers, but do know the following three links really helped me out. I can tell you that the RC link was read, with notes taken, maybe five times....I too wanted to pick the "right" bearings.

Here's the links:

Noisy dry side Vortech Fix

Pulling Apart a Vortech

Putting a Vortech back together

With my bearing replacement, the first week or so the new bearings were slightly noisy. Note, much quieter than the old bearings when they went bad. After about a week, they got even quieter. I was happy with this inexpensive fix.

The biggest problem I had was cutting into a $350 powerhead not knowing if the fix would work. Those first couple cuts into the plastic housing were painful. But all worked out.

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back when I did this a number of years ago, that was the main issue....picking the "right" bearings. I did extensive research and found that it appeared that hardness didn't necessarily mean the best bearing.....ABEC number, if I remember correctly.....ceramic didn't mean the "best". The best help I can offer is that I did purchase my bearings from Boca bearing.....can't remember order numbers, but do know the following three links really helped me out. I can tell you that the RC link was read, with notes taken, maybe five times....I too wanted to pick the "right" bearings.

Here's the links:

Noisy dry side Vortech Fix

Pulling Apart a Vortech

Putting a Vortech back together

With my bearing replacement, the first week or so the new bearings were slightly noisy. Note, much quieter than the old bearings when they went bad. After about a week, they got even quieter. I was happy with this inexpensive fix.

The biggest problem I had was cutting into a $350 powerhead not knowing if the fix would work. Those first couple cuts into the plastic housing were painful. But all worked out.

Thank you for the information. Been digging all over the web trying to find the best bearings to purchase.

Jason Collins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the information. Been digging all over the web trying to find the best bearings to purchase.
All these videos I see of people taking apart Mp40s and what not seem like older versions... They show taking a sticker off the back of the dry side... Mine doesnt seem like its only a sticker and I cant seem to get it off... I just keep scratching it up. Anyone know how to take the back off?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang on. If it's less than a years old, it's still under warranty. If so, don't tell them you took the dryside apart. If it's more than a year old, but just slightly, I'd still contact them. Assuming you were following the proper operating procedures, a dryside should last a very long time before needing bearing replacements. I've got 6 year old models running just fine.

Jason Collins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's more than a year old I just just bought it a month ago used and now it's flashing red and orange. Which from what I understand is the motor is bad. It wouldn't be under warranty and on the end if I can't get it working I'Lloyd be out more money buying a new dry side then if I would have just bought a brand new mp40wQD. So I thought I'd atleast take it apart and see if anything was broken or loose inside.

I unscrewed the rubber part that goes against the glass and can see the magnet. With the cover off I managed to gethe it to work like 3 times. Then I put the cover on and it wouldn't work. So then I thought maybe the cover is warped and rubbing on the magnet.

But of course I said I'll take it off one more time and try it without the cover so I know that's the problem... then it wouldn't work at all. Still flashing red and orange. When I plug it in and can feel it try to turn. It vibrates for a split second like the motor is trying to turn but cant. When I had it working you couldn't even hear it so it's still super quiet I don't think the bearings are bad. I'm thinking either the motor is dieing and can't spin anymore or something is keeping it from spinning it is can't figure out how to take it all the way out.

My back where it says mp40 appears to be aluminum or something... the only videos I find about taking the dry side apart shows someone peeling an ecotech sticker off and there's a screw there. But mine is not a sticker. I have scrapped all along the edge then in the middle some... it is not a sticker it is painted metal. How do I take this one apart?

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's more than a year old I just just bought it a month ago used and now it's flashing red and orange. Which from what I understand is the motor is bad. It wouldn't be under warranty and on the end if I can't get it working I'Lloyd be out more money buying a new dry side then if I would have just bought a brand new mp40wQD. So I thought I'd atleast take it apart and see if anything was broken or loose inside.

I unscrewed the rubber part that goes against the glass and can see the magnet. With the cover off I managed to gethe it to work like 3 times. Then I put the cover on and it wouldn't work. So then I thought maybe the cover is warped and rubbing on the magnet.

But of course I said I'll take it off one more time and try it without the cover so I know that's the problem... then it wouldn't work at all. Still flashing red and orange. When I plug it in and can feel it try to turn. It vibrates for a split second like the motor is trying to turn but cant. When I had it working you couldn't even hear it so it's still super quiet I don't think the bearings are bad. I'm thinking either the motor is dieing and can't spin anymore or something is keeping it from spinning it is can't figure out how to take it all the way out.

My back where it says mp40 appears to be aluminum or something... the only videos I find about taking the dry side apart shows someone peeling an ecotech sticker off and there's a screw there. But mine is not a sticker. I have scrapped all along the edge then in the middle some... it is not a sticker it is painted metal. How do I take this one apart?

Sounds like one I have that needs rebuilding. I'll mess around with mine later today and see if I can figure it out. I'll let you know what I find.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't remember the label part being an issue....it's been a while. Have you checked out my experience rebuilding the dryside HERE.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember that the QD dryside is different than the older ES dryside (at least for the MP40). Most, maybe all, of the disassembly videos are of the old one.

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jason Collins

Is this the mp40 you have?

IMG_20180608_1644178.jpg

Last edited:

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't think we were talking QD....if we are, shame on Ecotech!

And yes, the above photo are the Vortech's I have....antiques I guess. :rolleyes: I want to say the dates on mine are around 2005???

Equipment Cabinet inside.jpg

The "newer" controller is for an MP10.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back