brown stringy algae

helfrichgolby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a real problem with browning of sand. And also with brown stringy algae. I have had my tank for about 3 months. After about 5 weeks of cycling tested the water and it seemed good to go.

Have not invested in a skimmer, and am currently running pc's on my jbj 28gallon. Also have 1 m20.

killingseed2000

hobo of time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that link looks like an email account that your image is in. it wont post, you need to post it here on r2r or somewhere like Photobucket so we can see it.

killingseed2000

hobo of time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when posting photobucket images, there is an IMG tag listed on photobucket. you just need to copy that and paste it in the text area for posting. just takes some practice. nice tank.

IMG00227-20090802-1839.jpg

zona322

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you need to test you phas, calc, and mag if you ask me your phas it up to high are you running a fuge or a phas reactor. test you water and let us know what the readings are and we can help you more.
craig

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of questions about the algae.

Would you describe it as "stringy" or "snotty?"

Does it appear to be gone, first thing in the morning, after lights have been off all night, and then appear to grow quickly and return throughout the day, after lights have been on for awhile?

If you can answer "YES" to both of these, chances are it's Dinoflagellates. If so, they can be quite a pain to get rid of. There's 2 commonly used methods, that are both somewhat successful.
#1. Turn your lights out and leave them out for about 4 days. People are hesitant to do this if they have SPS, Clams, etc, however, they'll be just fine. After day 4, you can turn your lights back on, but only for a couple of hours the first day, a couple more the next day, etc. until you're back to your full light schedule.

#2. Unfortunately, technique #1 usually works temporarily, but it usually comes back. So, the second method, which seems to be a lil' more successful, but is more difficult, is to raise your pH above 8.5 and KEEP it there, for a period of at least 2 weeks. Keeping it there is the problem. It usually requires dosing Baking Soda, several times every day.

I've been lucky with technique #1, but I had to use this technique two times in a row. After the second time, the nastiness didn't come back.

OP
OP
H

helfrichgolby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of questions about the algae.

Would you describe it as "stringy" or "snotty?"

Does it appear to be gone, first thing in the morning, after lights have been off all night, and then appear to grow quickly and return throughout the day, after lights have been on for awhile?

If you can answer "YES" to both of these, chances are it's Dinoflagellates. If so, they can be quite a pain to get rid of. There's 2 commonly used methods, that are both somewhat successful.
#1. Turn your lights out and leave them out for about 4 days. People are hesitant to do this if they have SPS, Clams, etc, however, they'll be just fine. After day 4, you can turn your lights back on, but only for a couple of hours the first day, a couple more the next day, etc. until you're back to your full light schedule.

#2. Unfortunately, technique #1 usually works temporarily, but it usually comes back. So, the second method, which seems to be a lil' more successful, but is more difficult, is to raise your pH above 8.5 and KEEP it there, for a period of at least 2 weeks. Keeping it there is the problem. It usually requires dosing Baking Soda, several times every day.

I've been lucky with technique #1, but I had to use this technique two times in a row. After the second time, the nastiness didn't come back.

I would say more like hair or string than snott. Also it produces in the day and in the night of my light cycle. My wife did at one point put in tap water. But i thought i had gotten past that as i did not have a problem for some time. I hate it when i get home and just see all this brown.... It frustrates me. So i guess my probelm probably is not dinoflagellates

zona322

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are your test like aka phas, calc, and mag. if it looks more like hair. i would slowly bring up your mag to 1450 and keep it there for about a week and get a lot of flow in the tank if you start to see it fall off take it out of the tank. when it is all go. lower you make to 1350 and keep it there it will help bring out coraline alge. for got to ask what is your alk at. let us know.
craig

mevstheworld

Salt Creep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dinoflagellates are always present in our systems. it just takes something to feed them to have a bloom(like tap water). it would take several (10+)water changes to phase out what tap water was introduced, depending on how much was used. good luck!!!

Back