Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ocean Lotion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of mine who is studying to be a vet said that the fish fungus medication ketoconazole may also work, and would be a less stressful medication on tank inhabitants. I don't have any Bryopsis anymore. Maybe someone might want to test ketoconazole vs fluconazole. Ketoconazole is now less expensive vs fluconazole since everyone is buying fluconazole.
Californiapetpharmacy.Com has it on sale for .90 per 200 mg tablet. I did not look at what the dosage is for treating fungus.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of mine who is studying to be a vet said that the fish fungus medication ketoconazole may also work, and would be a less stressful medication on tank inhabitants. I don't have any Bryopsis anymore. Maybe someone might want to test ketoconazole vs fluconazole. Ketoconazole is now less expensive vs fluconazole since everyone is buying fluconazole.

Anti-fungals ending in Azole are potentials. Im satisfied with the effectiveness of Fluconazole. Someone like twillard could do testing with other azole anti-fungals.

Azole antifungals are characterized by the ability to inhibit ergosterol synthesis in fungal membranes. The biosynthesis of ergosterol requires the enzyme lanosterol 14 α-demethylase. ... Targeting this enzyme prevents ergosterol production. Thus, the fungal membrane structure is depleted of ergosterol and the fungus dies.

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is the general consensus that the tablets work as well as the capsules??
I've been following along but I want to double check rather than scroll through the 100 pages again haha

Brogratz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to say thank you for posting this. I was starting to get incredibly frustrated with Bryopsis. And in 8 days, it's now almost completely gone, just a small tiny amount clinging on. I did have some Cyano show up but not too worried about that. Plan to give it a bit and than turn all the filtration back on.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is the general consensus that the tablets work as well as the capsules??
I've been following along but I want to double check rather than scroll through the 100 pages again haha
Given a choice I would choose capsules if you can get them. The tablets work but you will need to grind them into a powder

tonymacc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1200 mg mixed, fingers crossed that all goes to plan, I will be adding this gradually during the day rather than in one hit.
couple of pre treatment pics after I'd pulled a few big clumps. I will focus my attention photowise to these 3 areas when updating my progress.

18 feb (2).JPG 18 feb (5).JPG

18 feb (4).JPG

Tushhog47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry don't have the time to read through all the post. Dosed 48 hours ago and was wanting to see if there is a consensus on these items.

How long to leave skimmer offline?

Should you use filter socks to catch the dying algae or remove the filter socks?

Can you run GFO during the treatment to help with phosphates?

How long to wait before doing water change?

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry don't have the time to read through all the post. Dosed 48 hours ago and was wanting to see if there is a consensus on these items.

How long to leave skimmer offline?

Should you use filter socks to catch the dying algae or remove the filter socks?

Can you run GFO during the treatment to help with phosphates?

How long to wait before doing water change?
Filter socks seem to be fine.

Skimmer seems to remove the medication so leaving it off for the full 14 days is best, but some still get results turning it back on after the first few days.

Some also have had it work with GFO but most take it offline at least to start with just to be sure.

It also seems to be best to wait the full 14 days of treatment before doing a water change.

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay day 11 and so happy. Now for the cyano. Going to dose chemiclean today. Never have used it before but need to nip this cyano and get it under control.

Plan on water change Monday which will be day 13.

Phosphate is 0.04 today and nitrates don't show.

Everything else right in line.

Fish Werx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 = 10:1 ratio :p
I was wondering if anyone that it didnt work for had or have anything to say? Like, what the saturation of algae was like, what kind of lighting, flow, did they use the full dose or a variant thereof? Was it only certain areas that the treatment didnt work for, or was it the entire system that was unaffected? Was it largely effective, mildly effective or was it a total flop?
I am reading through the thread, but there are a huge amount of responses to sort through! LOL!

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anyone that it didnt work for had or have anything to say? Like, what the saturation of algae was like, what kind of lighting, flow, did they use the full dose or a variant thereof? Was it only certain areas that the treatment didnt work for, or was it the entire system that was unaffected? Was it largely effective, mildly effective or was it a total flop?
I am reading through the thread, but there are a huge amount of responses to sort through! LOL!

I agree, honestly I dont know details of the "no" voters. It may be most of the algae died and there is still some left after 14 days. I would find it hard to believe that anyone has had zero results. Then this may come down to doasages and the process, as well as some other variables.

Ocean Lotion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked Randy Holmes-Farley for his input on whether gfo would remove fluconazole from a tank and he does not see that it would. That gives me a warm fuzzy to turn my reactor back on while I am treating. If phosphate is kept low during treatment it can oy help to weaken the algae.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back