Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1895.JPG IMG_1892.JPG

@stevo01 , @NCreefguy - This is what an treating for .. hope these are byropsis ..
Ofcourse it's just Day 5 and I have been running skimmer from day 3 and gfo from the beginning

Regards,
Abhishek

Rob Lion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 7 Update....

pH 8.38 day, 8.31 Night
NO3 = 0 (dosing 4ml NOPOX)
PO4 = 0.068 (dosing 1ml Lanthanum Chloride)

Skimmer on during night hours only.
100 micron filter sock in place.
GFO/Carbon still OFF
UV still OFF

Water still a little cloudy. Purple cyano hairs over most of substrate. Increasing LC to 1.5ml and stirred sandbed.

Area 1 top of rock bryopsis has about 50% reduction, whats left seems white , but with green base.
Area 2 side of branch has 99.9% gone :)
Area 3 in sump is about 50% gone :)

Only negative thing so far, my chaeto spinning ball has split into nearly 2 halves, centre is showing a much lighter green. All other fish , corals , inverts including BTA are all unaffected :)

AREA 1
P2190002.JPG

AREA 2
P2190001.JPG

AREA 3
P2190003.JPG

Chaeto no longer spinning :'(
P2190004.JPG

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 7 Update....

pH 8.38 day, 8.31 Night
NO3 = 0 (dosing 4ml NOPOX)
PO4 = 0.068 (dosing 1ml Lanthanum Chloride)

Skimmer on during night hours only.
100 micron filter sock in place.
GFO/Carbon still OFF
UV still OFF

Water still a little cloudy. Purple cyano hairs over most of substrate. Increasing LC to 1.5ml and stirred sandbed.

Area 1 top of rock bryopsis has about 50% reduction, whats left seems white , but with green base.
Area 2 side of branch has 99.9% gone :)
Area 3 in sump is about 50% gone :)

Only negative thing so far, my chaeto spinning ball has split into nearly 2 halves, centre is showing a much lighter green. All other fish , corals , inverts including BTA are all unaffected :)

AREA 1
P2190002.JPG

AREA 2
P2190001.JPG

AREA 3
P2190003.JPG

Chaeto no longer spinning :'(
P2190004.JPG
That's interesting about the chaeto. Mine was completely unaffected. Yours also appears to have coraline in it. Could the weight of the Coraline be keeping it from spinning?

Rob Lion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's interesting about the chaeto. Mine was completely unaffected. Yours also appears to have coraline in it. Could the weight of the Coraline be keeping it from spinning?

No coraline in it, just lots of pods etc.... its broken apart into a big "S" shape..... no real issue, i've adjusted the wavemaker in the refugium and its kind of spinning again, but looks like die off in its centre, this of course could well be natural (not getting enough light in centre) and nothing to do with the fluconazole.

All in all, i'm happy..... just not ready to do a happy dance yet.... 7 more days to go :)

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No coraline in it, just lots of pods etc.... its broken apart into a big "S" shape..... no real issue, i've adjusted the wavemaker in the refugium and its kind of spinning again, but looks like die off in its centre, this of course could well be natural (not getting enough light in centre) and nothing to do with the fluconazole.

All in all, i'm happy..... just not ready to do a happy dance yet.... 7 more days to go :)

That's true... before I knew I was supposed to trim it down mine died off inside a bit. It was so huge there was no more space to tumble though lol.

Good luck. Mine is still losing the last remaining sprigs even after the 14 days was up. [emoji2]

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just giving an update still working have yet to turn on the skimmer but it seems like it's still working I did order another 20 capsules going to run the skimmer for a couple days and then put in the 20 capsules to get rid of the tiny little bit that's left.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you guys kept up with the daily feeding during treatment or lowered it to 1 feeding per day? I have some very hungry anthias and wrasses that I feed 3-4 times a day and still kept up with the feeding after 5 days of treatment .
Also, do you stop all amino acids and coral foods during this time ?

Asking so because I haven't and not sure if the medicine will have full effect .

Regards,
Abhishek

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you guys kept up with the daily feeding during treatment or lowered it to 1 feeding per day? I have some very hungry anthias and wrasses that I feed 3-4 times a day and still kept up with the feeding after 5 days of treatment .

Asking so because I haven't and not sure if the medicine will have full effect .

Regards,
Abhishek

No change in my feeding.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1895.JPG IMG_1892.JPG

@stevo01 , @NCreefguy - This is what an treating for .. hope these are byropsis ..
Ofcourse it's just Day 5 and I have been running skimmer from day 3 and gfo from the beginning

Regards,
Abhishek

@stevo01 - Thanks for the reply . Could you clarify my question above ? These are byropsis right ?

Regards,
Abhishek

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's very hard for me to tell. I almost want to say no. If it's not I'm fairly confident Fluconazole will be a good treatment anyway.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @stevo01 for the reply.
Don't know whether to be happy or sad .. Can anyone ID if the algae am trying to treat is actually byropsis ?
They are small green to brownish stem like structures and I thought byropsis ..

Regards,
Abhishek

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Regards,
Abhishek
Kept my feeding the same also

Vegasgundog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings! Long time lurker but after spending the last four days reading the 100+ pages of this thread I joined up. I added 1400mg to my e260 rsm this evening after doing a large water change. Shortly after, my filter sock overflowed. I just changed it yesterday. I had to change it again. Is it possible that the meds will come out with the sock and should I dose more? 50% of the solution was added directly to the algae mass while the pumps were still off.
Thanks, and awesome job on everyone's part to this endeavor to save us all.

Ryan Martin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man just reading all your comments is making me happy I'm so excited to murder some bryopsis, I was probably weeks away from breaking down my tank in defeat.

As for vibrant it has done way more harm than good in every single tank I've put it in, and and causes a horrible cyano outbreak as well as that strange Brown stringy stuff not sure if it's an algae or bacteria

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man just reading all your comments is making me happy I'm so excited to murder some bryopsis, I was probably weeks away from breaking down my tank in defeat.

As for vibrant it has done way more harm than good in every single tank I've put it in, and and causes a horrible cyano outbreak as well as that strange Brown stringy stuff not sure if it's an algae or bacteria
Dinoflagellates is the strange Brown stringy stuff.

You are going to be ecstatic then [emoji2] This battle you will win!

Vegasgundog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had a terrible time with vibrant with a huge spongy cyano out break requiring chemiclean. It also seems to have fueled all the algae taking over.

Ryan Martin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinoflagellates is the strange Brown stringy stuff.

You are going to be ecstatic then [emoji2] This battle you will win!

Nice I definitely can't wait I get my order on Tuesday I'm just going to sit a chair in front of my tank for the next couple days and laugh at the bryopsis

azreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done a lot of research on this and finally started the treatment on my 175 Friday night. I have taken my skimmer, GFO and GAC offline for this. Just a thought that no one has mentioned in regards to water changes. Why not treat this as other meds, if my dosage is 200mg/10 g. Would I be able to do a 20 gallon WC and just add 2 capsules to my new water? Would this not be the same as maintaining meds and still doing water changes? I'm thinking of doing a 20-30 gallon wc after 7 days and replacing Fluco in the new water at the same dosage. Any thoughts or am I missing something here? Thanks in advance

Ryan Martin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a terrible time with vibrant with a huge spongy cyano out break requiring chemiclean. It also seems to have fueled all the algae taking over.

Yeah I regret ever buying it I lost so many expensive high-end zoanthids that just started melting after first introducing it to the tank as well as a bunch of other Coral that just slowly started dying but the algae blooms are horrible and they don't go away for a long time after I stop using it, it sucks because alot of people apparently love it and don't have any problems with it

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back