Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

johnthehermit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have my lighting very bright as it's FO. Would you recommend increasing lighting levels with this treatment? I have a very low bio load in my tank and undetectable nitrate with salifert low range and po4 at o.oo8 using elos low range. The tank is a couple of months old with pukani (bleached, acid dipped and soaked in RO for a couple of months with phosguard) and a few bits of live rock. The hair algae is a very weak, pale growth but is unsightly and mainly grows in high flow areas. The tank also has two sochting oxydators type A's in it. I'm not sure if it's hair or bryopsis as it's a weak growth. My capsules have now arrived in London from the USA, should be with me in a day or two which is pretty good as I only ordered them four days ago.
Thanks
John

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 13. I am going to do a water change now. As I am off today and need to work tomorrow. Bryopsis is non exsistant. I had to dose chemiclean to rid the cyano bloom I had gotten from vibrant. I will however go to a 1x every 2 weeks with vibrant as I still saw some benefit. I am very pleased with the flucon treatment though. Now to keep system in check!

ENARP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
b1.jpg
b2.jpg
Day 10...Bryopsis 99% gone.....Pictures Day 2 to Day 10

Ssindt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tablets worked for a tank I treated, took 8-10 days to see any change but day 12-13 it wiped it almost all out and day 15 Its 100% free I dosed 200mg per 10 gallon.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have my lighting very bright as it's FO. Would you recommend increasing lighting levels with this treatment? I have a very low bio load in my tank and undetectable nitrate with salifert low range and po4 at o.oo8 using elos low range. The tank is a couple of months old with pukani (bleached, acid dipped and soaked in RO for a couple of months with phosguard) and a few bits of live rock. The hair algae is a very weak, pale growth but is unsightly and mainly grows in high flow areas. The tank also has two sochting oxydators type A's in it. I'm not sure if it's hair or bryopsis as it's a weak growth. My capsules have now arrived in London from the USA, should be with me in a day or two which is pretty good as I only ordered them four days ago.
Thanks
John

Bryopsis seamed to die off quicker in the highly lit areas of my tank but it will still work in the low light areas too. It may just take a little longer.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1895.JPG IMG_1892.JPG

@stevo01 , @NCreefguy - This is what an treating for .. hope these are byropsis ..
Ofcourse it's just Day 5 and I have been running skimmer from day 3 and gfo from the beginning

Regards,
Abhishek

@Rick.45cal,@NCreefguy ,@prsnlty - Do these look like byropsis to you ? Its almost day 6 and I haven't seen any changes yet

Regards,
Abhishek

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rick.45cal,@NCreefguy ,@prsnlty - Do these look like byropsis to you ? Its almost day 6 and I haven't seen any changes yet

Regards,
Abhishek

That stuff looks different than what you had growing around the frag. (If my memory serves me). It's eerily similar but very difficult to say for certain. It's so tiny. I wouldn't count the fluconazole out yet.

Has it spread any during treatment, or has it stopped spreading/growing? If it seems to have stopped spreading/growing the fluconazole is likely affecting it. Hard to say, if it is another type of algae it may take longer to see any effect visually.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That stuff looks different than what you had growing around the frag. (If my memory serves me). It's eerily similar but very difficult to say for certain. It's so tiny. I wouldn't count the fluconazole out yet.

Has it spread any during treatment, or has it stopped spreading/growing? If it seems to have stopped spreading/growing the fluconazole is likely affecting it. Hard to say, if it is another type of algae it may take longer to see any effect visually.

Hi Rick,

Well the stuff growing around my flag plug was brown and long while these are definitely green, small bush like or sometimes single stranded but do not come off rocks easily even with brush.
I literally had to scrubb them hard and then may be some part will come off .
Since , the dosage, I can't say they have increased but I have introduced 5-6 more mnexican turbos and seem like they mowed some down .
I wish somebody could ID them as all this while i thought they are byropsis but are they some form of turf algae?
I shall return home and update how did it go but planning to let it be for 21 days and then dose a second round after a water change if things haven't improved at all.

Regards,
Abhishek

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regards,
Abhishek

Sometimes it's hard to really tell without seeing the long stalks with fern/fan blades on them. Most of the Bryopsis that I've had all had this and has never stayed that short. Hopefully the Fluconazole will still work for you though.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may very well be some sort of turf algae! @Abhishek If it hasn't grown and things are eating it now that's likely a good sign. One thing that's been noticed is algaes that are inedible suddenly become attractive to the CUC. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Philt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An someone recommend a brand or seller? I assume you don't want the pills for animals or people?

Anyone buy from Payless pet products or use Thomas Labs product?

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes it's hard to really tell without seeing the long stalks with fern/fan blades on them. Most of the Bryopsis that I've had all had this and has never stayed that short. Hopefully the Fluconazole will still work for you though.

It may very well be some sort of turf algae! @Abhishek If it hasn't grown and things are eating it now that's likely a good sign. One thing that's been noticed is algaes that are inedible suddenly become attractive to the CUC. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Thanks guys for the support !!! I would hate to be The Odd Man Out guy for whom fluco didn't work.
Do we have any account of fluco working on turf algae species ?

Regards,
Abhishek

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys for the support !!! I would hate to be The Odd Man Out guy for whom fluco didn't work.

Regards,
Abhishek

Trust me I know the feeling, I'm always "that guy" in life! I don't know about the turf algae. You might be the guinea pig :eek::D

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Regards,
Abhishek
Vibrant seemed to create red turf in my system. So far this medication hasn't done anything for it. Mexican turbos love it though ;)

Brandon42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today is officially one week sense dosing. I did 2000mg into my 125 gallon. I don't have any bryopsis I did this specifically for the horrible gha problem I had going on. after week one my gha has become noticeably thinner and is all starting to turn white at this point I still haven't put my skimmer cup back on, Iv been thinking about doing it but don't want to remove any of the medication. Still no sign of it stressing any fish or coral, just reaking havoc on my gha!

IMG_5268.JPG
IMG_5341.JPG

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant seemed to create red turf in my system. So far this medication hasn't done anything for it. Mexican turbos love it though ;)

Thanks for the reply . Could you post pics of the red turf you had ? Mine are mostly lime green to brown in color and not because of vibrant .
Now I use Aquaforest np pro and pro bio s .. Might be that caused it

Regards,
Abhishek

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply . Could you post pics of the red turf you had ? Mine are mostly lime green to brown in color and not because of vibrant .
Now I use Aquaforest np pro and pro bio s .. Might be that caused it

Regards,
Abhishek
My bryopsis began just after I had changed to af pro bio salt 10 months ago. But I had also acquired a couple of frags at that time... it could have been both. Needless to say I no longer use AF salt.

My red turf in baby stage. The Mexican turbos are taking care of it so I don't have any pictures of longer growth.
20170209_131321.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back