Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bryopsis began just after I had changed to af pro bio salt 10 months ago. But I had also acquired a couple of frags at that time... it could have been both. Needless to say I no longer use AF salt.

My red turf in baby stage. The Mexican turbos are taking care of it so I don't have any pictures of longer growth.
20170209_131321.jpg

Interesting !!! You are the second person to mention to me that the AF probiotic salt might have something to do with byropsis .
May I ask what salt you are using now ? Am thinking of moving to AF Reef salt but wanted to know your thoughts.

Regards,
Abhishek

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting !!! You are the second person to mention to me that the AF probiotic salt might have something to do with byropsis .
May I ask what salt you are using now ? Am thinking of moving to AF Reef salt but wanted to know your thoughts.

Regards,
Abhishek
I went back to my old salt Seachem Reef Salt. However I know people that love the AF Reef Salt and have no issues.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue plate sponge looks bleached, the bryopsis is dying though. I'm hoping color will come back. Otherwise all sps and lps look amazing still. So happy.
Did any medication land on the sponge possibly? I haven't had any sponge affected so I'm curious to know if that could have been the cause. How are nutrients in your system?

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday

IMG_1891.JPG

Today

IMG_1900.JPG

Thanks guys for the support !!! I would hate to be The Odd Man Out guy for whom fluco didn't work.
Do we have any account of fluco working on turf algae species ?

Regards,
Abhishek

This is unbelievable !! Almost all of the green string like gone and devoured by my turbos :D

Don't know if they were byropsis or GHA or turf but gone ..
Don't know if fluconazole helped or whether I was missing turbos

Am gonna stretch water change to 21 days and see ..

@Rick.45cal ,@NCreefguy ,@stevo01 ,@prsnlty - Thank you for everything !!!

Regards,
Abhishek

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday

IMG_1891.JPG

Today

IMG_1900.JPG

This is unbelievable !! Almost all of the green string like gone and devoured by my turbos :D

Regards,
Abhishek
Yay!!!

Ocho Cinco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if I should redose if it's not 100% gone. I have a good sized clean up crew and a sea hare that seems to eat it. Is there any harm of retreating later down the line and not back to back?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I claim no salt can bring on a bry invasion

Bry is a requisite hitchhiker that cannot be generated in a system unless its brought in associated with biological vectors. contrast that to green and red slime algae and many forms of microalgae that can easily be generated in a cup of water we leave opened on a windowsill and add some fertilizers to...within three mos of sunlight and air exposure (+ topped off to maintain the system) you'll have all kinds of colored slicks in the cup...scums, algae, fungi/cyano but there wont be any bryopsis and there wont be any valonia that's for sure.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 things observed :-

Byropsis probably start dieing from 5th day onwards or become edible from 5th day of dosing fluco .

Mexican turbos reintroduced helped it a lot .. they literally mowed through it once reintroduced after 5th day .Astreas and trochus didn't touch them .

Ocho Cinco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 things observed :-

Byropsis probably start dieing from 5th day onwards or become edible from 5th day of dosing fluco .

Mexican turbos reintroduced helped it a lot .. they literally mowed through it once reintroduced after 5th day .Astreas and trochus didn't touch them .
I agree. I noticed the same.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I claim no salt can bring on a bry invasion

Bry is a requisite hitchhiker that cannot be generated in a system unless its brought in associated with biological vectors. contrast that to green and red slime algae and many forms of microalgae that can easily be generated in a cup of water we leave opened on a windowsill and add some fertilizers to...within three mos of sunlight and air exposure (+ topped off to maintain the system) you'll have all kinds of colored slicks in the cup...scums, algae, fungi/cyano but there wont be any bryopsis and there wont be any valonia that's for sure.
Good to know :)

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can we get a new poll to see if diflucan is effective? I think a poll without the "treating right now" option would be more informative.

Is difulcan a name brand? The anti-fungals that "may" work end in, azole. So I would try one of these first.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday

IMG_1891.JPG

Today

IMG_1900.JPG

Regards,
Abhishek

Well whatever it was I am glad it is gone my friend! :D

Back