Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

azreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm in day 4 of my Fluco treatment and today my tank water looks very clear and everything is doing fine. My 8" Maxima clam has been open since the start and never showed any problems from my initial dose of 3400 mg. I'm sitting here looking at my blue tang, Yellow, Achilles and even my Golden angel and Moorish idol going crazy eating the GHA from areas around my over flow and back wall. They NEVER touch or even look at this stuff and now with Fluco in the system it's like they are eating purple Nori. So there is definitely something that happens that makes the GHA look appealing to fish after a few days. I'm sold on this and this is great.

Brandon42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When did everyone start skimming again? Iv had mine running with out the cup for a week now. I'd like to put the cup back on but don't want to remove the medication.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can we get a new poll to see if diflucan is effective? I think a poll without the "treating right now" option would be more informative.

sorry about that. yes it is the same thing. so is it possible to attach a new poll to this thread?

The name of the poll is "Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?
This IS a poll to see if Fluconazole(Diflucan) is effective. "Yes" it was effective and killed my bryopsis or "No" it wasn't effective.."I'm treating my tank right now" let's people know that they are not alone in treating their tanks at this time. Taking away that option doesn't make the poll more informative,it would make it less informative.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When did everyone start skimming again? Iv had mine running with out the cup for a week now. I'd like to put the cup back on but don't want to remove the medication.

I started skimming again around day 3-4 and the treatment still worked for me. Some people has skimmed the entire time and still had good results. There were some who skimmed early on and may have removed too much of the meds and decided to restart their treatment so each tank will be different.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much success are we having on half dosing? Going to dose the 525XL and trying to decide half or full dose. I'm moving coral and rock out of my 20g. There are some sprigs left here and there on frags/rocks.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much success are we having on half dosing? Going to dose the 525XL and trying to decide half or full dose. I'm moving coral and rock out of my 20g. There are some sprigs left here and there on frags/rocks.

It's still hit or miss. Someone posted a few days ago that the lesser dose didn't work for them. It's odd why it works for some but not others.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm dosing for about 120g. Im guessing I have about 19g of displacement.

120G X 20mg per gallon = 2400mg or 12 capsules. That leave me with a few left for the 20g and pico/coral QT.

It didn't seem like much dosing 2 capsules into a 20g. This feels different :eek:

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried using a stir plate over night? Since I'm not brewing these day I could try this. Is this good or bad for the process? hmmm.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if it could be they're different strains of bryopsis?

Yeah it could be...or different lighting. I guess it could be any number of things. Hopefully twilliard will be able to answer some of these questions after some more testing.

chickofthesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did any medication land on the sponge possibly? I haven't had any sponge affected so I'm curious to know if that could have been the cause. How are nutrients in your system?
I don't think any directly landed on it but it is a posibility. I opened the caps and disolved them first. I will water test again tomorrow at the lfs. But the day I treated ph 8.4 dkh, 8 ca, 500 mg1280, nitrate 30, phosphate not detectable. I use cheap test kits though. I know they may not be the most accurate but i don't chase numbers I just really moniter with them. I do use bio pellets for carbon as I know I do over feed. I really like feeding the lps and fish. I am happy with this treatment and if I ever need to I will def do it again. Thank you for this information.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The name of the poll is "Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?
This IS a poll to see if Fluconazole(Diflucan) is effective. "Yes" it was effective and killed my bryopsis or "No" it wasn't effective.."I'm treating my tank right now" let's people know that they are not alone in treating their tanks at this time. Taking away that option doesn't make the poll more informative,it would make it less informative.
so maybe I am misunderstanding. I see the titled asked if fluconazol killed all your Bryopsis, not if you were using flucanazole to kill Bryopsis. I was wonder how many people had success with this treatment. and if one chooses "you are currently treating" you do not share your experience with the efficacy of this treatment. You share that you are trying the treatment but not if it was effective. As far as knowing we are not alone, lol, we know we are not alone battling algae. :) A yes / no poll would tally the post treatment results. I did not mean to offend you or derail your thread. I hoped to improve the data collection of efficacy of treatment. I do like seeing how many people are trying this treatment. However, that question is answered by the response...an answer indicates that one has tried it.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so maybe I am misunderstanding. I see the titled asked if fluconazol killed all your Bryopsis, not if you were using flucanazole to kill Bryopsis. I was wonder how many people had success with this treatment. and if one chooses "you are currently treating" you do not share your experience with the efficacy of this treatment. You share that you are trying the treatment but not if it was effective. As far as knowing we are not alone, lol, we know we are not alone battling algae. :) A yes / no poll would tally the post treatment results. I did not mean to offend you or derail your thread. I hoped to improve the data collection of efficacy of treatment. I do like seeing how many people are trying this treatment. However, that question is answered by the response...an answer indicates that one has tried it.

Victoria M, maybe start on page 1 and read until the end, you are missing a lot of info if your solely relying on the poll...the pole is merely a reference to see how many are using, and where they are at. It was a supplementary addition to the thread per request with the expectation that the "user" would read the thread. Details of the treatments are riddled through this thread.

In addition, this thread is about treatment using FLUCONAZOLE.

wyattray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive noticed that my Low Flow Areas of the tank seem to dye alot slower than the areas closest to the power heads. Upping my power heads increased the death of the GHA in those areas, I am on Day 9 of treatment.

johnthehermit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After putting some of my algae under a kiddy microscope :) at 75x magnification, I'm pretty sure I have a form of Derbesia and not Bryopsis. It is very pale which may be due to my two Oxydators which use hydrogen peroxide to increase oxygen levels. According to this thread Fluconazole does kill this in time, is that correct ? I'll try and upload a couple of pics. The second pic is in a high flow nearer the lights and the first is lower down and less flow.
IMG_1258.JPG

John
IMG_1248.JPG

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You did not offend me at all. I think you're missing the point of the thread and the poll. Everyone can change their vote on the poll. When you come into the thread and read about using this treatment,you can decide if you want to try it for your tank. You then can vote for "I'm treating my tank with it now". After the treatment is over,you can then change your vote to "Yes" the treatment was effective or "No" the treatment was not effective". Also for knowing we are not alone in treating algae,It means that you are not alone treating Bryopsis with Fluconazole(not just battling algae). That's the whole purpose of the thread.I think you just didn't understand that everyone can change their votes after the treatment(this was posted in the thread). Hopefully this better explains the poll and the thread for you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After putting some of my algae under a kiddy microscope :) at 75x magnification, I'm pretty sure I have a form of Derbesia and not Bryopsis. It is very pale which may be due to my two Oxydators which use hydrogen peroxide to increase oxygen levels. According to this thread Fluconazole does kill this in time, is that correct ? I'll try and upload a couple of pics. The second pic is in a high flow nearer the lights and the first is lower down and less flow.
IMG_1258.JPG

John
IMG_1248.JPG

Fluconazole has killed some forms of Derbesia but there are over 20 something different species of it I believe so there is no definite answer. I hope it works for you though.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back