Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sonn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long does it usually take for everyone to see signs of algae dying? I used fluco 3 days ago and still dont notice anything change in hair algae in my tank! Skimmer and gfo/carbon were offline!

Antlrman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually see dramatic results about day 8 or 9. First few days nothing much. 4 to 6 days in look closely and probably see a gray or white color of the algea start. Then it is like magic. Starts to just disappear. I was traveling on and off during my treatment. So I would only see mine every 3 days or so. That made me see huge differences in the algea opposed to watching each day. Be patient, this stuff truly works. Buy day 7 you should really start to see a difference in appearance

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long does it usually take for everyone to see signs of algae dying? I used fluco 3 days ago and still dont notice anything change in hair algae in my tank! Skimmer and gfo/carbon were offline!
The post just below yours about sums it up [emoji6]

Vegasgundog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hahahahhahahaa

A filter bag is like a media bag you put carbon etc into, it's very thin walled and not "fluffy"...

fb1.jpg

Please don't make me explain "fluffy" Freddie ! :D

Ok, ok, I'm a little panicked. Im still using my "fuzzy" filter sock! Do you really think the 200micron fuzzy will trap the meds? They are well used and even more fuzzy because I wash them in the washer when my wife is not home. Please don't tell her.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, ok, I'm a little panicked. Im still using my "fuzzy" filter sock! Do you really think the 200micron fuzzy will trap the meds? They are well used and even more fuzzy because I wash them in the washer when my wife is not home. Please don't tell her.
I think they'll be ok. I kept my felt sock on and changed them daily. Had to because they packed with gunk.

ENARP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am claiming success!!! Thank You so much for giving me this information! Only noticeable "hits" taken by anything were a few snails, but cannot totally contribute that to treatment. Softies..i.e. Finger leathers and toadstools were noticeably drawn up, but seem to be in otherwise good condition. Monti caps faded from green and red to brown, but color is returning and they look like they made it. Tonight (day 12), I did a water change, turned back on skimmer and added carbon back and everyone seems to be perked back up in just an hour or so afterwards. No visible Bryopsis in the tank!!!!! Thanks again!

nb.png

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am claiming success!!! Thank You so much for giving me this information! Only noticeable "hits" taken by anything were a few snails, but cannot totally contribute that to treatment. Softies..i.e. Finger leathers and toadstools were noticeably drawn up, but seem to be in otherwise good condition. Monti caps faded from green and red to brown, but color is returning and they look like they made it. Tonight (day 12), I did a water change, turned back on skimmer and added carbon back and everyone seems to be perked back up in just an hour or so afterwards. No visible Bryopsis in the tank!!!!! Thanks again!

nb.png
Congrats!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

nb.png
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

johnthehermit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluco turned up today. I'm preparing 50 litres of water to do a 10% water change and will commence treatment tonight. I'll remove carbon, Rowaphos and turn skimmer off for the duration and monitor nitrate and phosphate, currently 0 nitrate and 0.008 phosphate. My total capacity before displacement is about 500 litres, 132 US gallons. I've got 20 capsules and was thinking of adding the contents of 10 = 2000 mg.
John

Tushhog47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am day 6 on dosing and starting to see the die off. Since starting the Fluco treatment my tank has been super cloudy to the point that most of the corals were staying closed. I had to pull my T5's off and put my led back onto the tank to see if that would help and so far it is working. The funny thing is the leds have to be on 100 percent to get any response from the corals when previously only running at about 40%. Would you start running the protein skimmer again or would you leave it offline since the corals are somewhat responding to the additional light. Currently I have a hammer and a couple of gonipora that have stayed closed since day one of treatment and not sure that they will be able to make it to day 14 staying closed. Any help would be appreciated.

Rob Lion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluco turned up today. I'm preparing 50 litres of water to do a 10% water change and will commence treatment tonight. I'll remove carbon, Rowaphos and turn skimmer off for the duration and monitor nitrate and phosphate, currently 0 nitrate and 0.008 phosphate. My total capacity before displacement is about 500 litres, 132 US gallons. I've got 20 capsules and was thinking of adding the contents of 10 = 2000 mg.
John

great it's turned up....
500L - sand - rocks (don't forget they are porous) - equipment etc = about 450L = about 120 US gallons (not UK gallons), so you will need 20 x 120 = 2400mg = 12 (200mg)capsules John.

tonyflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting !!! You are the second person to mention to me that the AF probiotic salt might have something to do with byropsis .
May I ask what salt you are using now ? Am thinking of moving to AF Reef salt but wanted to know your thoughts.

Regards,
Abhishek

Deffo interesting - I had Bryopsis either come in on a frag (couldnt see any evidence), or possibly rooted in the Aquaroche I got 2nd hand with the tank, and have been battling it ever since, got despondent with the tank, and stopped water changes for 2 months, and it seemed to start receding, as things were looking up, I thought I would run a water change (made up with AF probiotic salt), and boom, Bryopsis came back with a vengeance. Have tested new batch of water and levels are all spot on, wonder if something in the formula of AF Probiotic salt is feeding the Bryopsis.
Anways, I have been advised that my order of Fluconazole has been despatched, so waiting for it to get to UK, and I have everything I can crossed that it will kill off this b*stard "weed", and I can fall back in love with my tank :)

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deffo interesting - I had Bryopsis either come in on a frag (couldnt see any evidence), or possibly rooted in the Aquaroche I got 2nd hand with the tank, and have been battling it ever since, got despondent with the tank, and stopped water changes for 2 months, and it seemed to start receding, as things were looking up, I thought I would run a water change (made up with AF probiotic salt), and boom, Bryopsis came back with a vengeance. Have tested new batch of water and levels are all spot on, wonder if something in the formula of AF Probiotic salt is feeding the Bryopsis.
Anways, I have been advised that my order of Fluconazole has been despatched, so waiting for it to get to UK, and I have everything I can crossed that it will kill off this b*stard "weed", and I can fall back in love with my tank :)

May I ask did you switch salt ? If so , which one ?

Regards,
Abhishek

tonyflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started using AF Probiotic from the get go - I bought the system from a fellow reefer who had broke it down, no idea what they used, but rock was only damp when I got it. Never considered the option that salt may be feeding it, but after reading the comments on here, and also seeing the Bryopsis recede after not performing any water changes (I was weekly before) I am beginning to wonder if there is a link in my case. Nearly at the end of the tub now anyways, so may just chuck it and look for something with similar parameters - Or once the Bryopsis is gone, I guess it wont be there to feed

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have a full Probiotic salt bucket that's 90% full .
Will do a small water change and observe the effect .
Now that byropsis and hair algae gone , will be interesting to see if the salt somehow reintroduces it .

Regards,
Abhishek

tonyflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt have thought it could introduce it if it wasnt already there, at a guess, it may contain something the Bryopsis can feed on? I only have a small tank (TMC 600) so the bucket has lasted some time, and levels have been spot on with it, so would be nice to keep using it, so hopefully the Fluconazol will remove all traces of it, so the salt cant "feed" it (if that is what is happening, as it could just be coincidence : ))

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NCreefguy ,@Rick.45cal - My tank is looking so good that I do not want to even change water . All old and newly bought acros have way more PE than ever .
Wondering what's the long term impact of not running carbon and removing the medicine or doing like 2-5 mg/gallon of maintenance dose constantly ?

Regards,
Abhishek

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back