BTA Question

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I woke up this morning and looked in my tank everything was normal, my BTA was open and looked good. Well I was doing some things and walked by and see he was completely closed but then I saw why. I have 3 peppermint shrimp in the tank and this is what I see he is on my BTA. My question is will they hurt him do I need to get rid of these shrimp

WP_20170120_10_53_44_Pro.jpg

WP_20170120_10_53_21_Pro.jpg

G8trBait16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about them, My Rainbow bubble tip closes up at night or after it eats something. I haven't heard of a peppermint shrimp hurting a RBTA. I had at one point 5 in my 75g for 6 months, they never bothered mine. Just keep an eye out and good luck.

Frosty Latte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrimp are annoying, plain and simple. However, they do nothing to harm the nems other than grab food out of the nem's mouth... if you don't like shrimp walking on nems, trade the shrimp in. But the shrimp will not harm the nem at all.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched helplessly as peppermints ate all my maxi-mini anemones, I could not catch the little buggers. Peppermints can become opportunistic feeders. With that said, the last batch of peppermints I had did not eat my anemones. They definitely have the potential though especially if they detect food within the anemone.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be bothersome and very annoying, but I still keep them. Get in the habit of target feeding them every other day or so it seems to help them not get as curious about corals. They probably won't do any harm but If you want to catch them you can make a very simple trap out of a plastic water bottle with the top "cone" cut off and inverted with food inside at the back. They'll go in and have trouble getting out.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had quite a few and only one that caused an issue on only one occasion, there was food in a Caulastrea/candy cane I was feeding and it went for the food and ripped the polyp. To be safe I removed it, but I have 3 in my reef now and haven't had issues so just keep an eye on it.

Back