Bubble algae

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the best tool to use to grab bubble algae off of a rock and one is in a crevice that I have to get and I only see a couple all together so I want to get them before it gets bad and my lfs said that the emerald crabs pop them usually when there chewing them and everything and then they would spread because of the spores so what is the best tool to use for this? Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, my fingers work by far the best. you can feel before they burst and you can twist them off easier. I also use 6" titanium tweezers I got on Amazon.

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I've added my emeralds I haven't seen a shred of bubble algae. But be careful, they can go rogue if they're not fed. I watched one almost rip a head off my Duncan. Ended up sneaking up on him with a fish net handle and smacking him. Haha. Never seen him try or signs of nipping again. Lol

JDS_03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I've added my emeralds I haven't seen a shred of bubble algae. But be careful, they can go rogue if they're not fed. I watched one almost rip a head off my Duncan. Ended up sneaking up on him with a fish net handle and smacking him. Haha. Never seen him try or signs of nipping again. Lol

How long has it been?

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a pair for a few small patches that were getting out of hand quick and it was totally gone within a week. I've had them for about 2 or so months now and not a speck of bubbles since nor any more nipping issues.

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If manually removing though, you can get some airline hose and siphon off where you will be removing. Make sure pumps off so as to not blow it all over the place and just slowly pluck and siphon what you want removed.

OP
OP
R

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, Vibrant destroys bubble algae.
I'm dosing vibrant once a week because my nightrates are down and my phosphate are not bad and it just popped up and I've been dosing vibrant for a few months now and i was dosing it 2 times a week but now I dropped it to once a week

OP
OP
R

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was gonna buy some emerald crabs but someone at my lfs said that alot of times when they get them off the rock they bust them open when there chewing them and everything so I didn't know what to do because I only have a couple and I don't want them to spread throughout the tank that's all

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm dosing vibrant once a week because my nightrates are down and my phosphate are not bad and it just popped up and I've been dosing vibrant for a few months now and i was dosing it 2 times a week but now I dropped it to once a week

A few months?! An odd situation indeed! What has Jeff from UWC said about this? My bubble algae melted away pretty quickly when Vibrant was introduced. Sorry for your troubles here.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was gonna buy some emerald crabs but someone at my lfs said that alot of times when they get them off the rock they bust them open when there chewing them and everything so I didn't know what to do because I only have a couple and I don't want them to spread throughout the tank that's all

If only a couple try to manually remove them, and continue the Vibrant. Just be gentle and try your best not to break them open. Emeralds imo are a method of control, not eradication. They become a mechanism for the cycle to continue, yet are a mechanism for removal once large enough to eat.

OP
OP
R

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't say anything to Jeff about it but I've been dosing for awhile and then after my levels got down from dosing it the bubble algae appeared so I have no clue why

Back