1   0   0
Cool! Following!

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! TBS rock? Is this it for the rock or did you get the package and waiting on more?
Looks good as-is!

How's things working out with the Elos and your custom sump?
Going with a custom sump myself, it took a little while for me to get it tuned in. Had some issues with a gurgling drain pipe.
Need to update my own build thread but I got it figured out and it's finally running silent.

OP
OP
TighTT

TighTT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! TBS rock? Is this it for the rock or did you get the package and waiting on more?
Looks good as-is!

How's things working out with the Elos and your custom sump?
Going with a custom sump myself, it took a little while for me to get it tuned in. Had some issues with a gurgling drain pipe.
Need to update my own build thread but I got it figured out and it's finally running silent.

Yup...TBS rock. I'm waiting on my next shipment but in all honesty I may not even need it. The custom sump is working great. I had it already dup and running for a few months, plunged into my custom frag tank (all in my basement fish room)...so getting the elos up and running was quite easy. I started with the drain pipe wide open and had my return pump (rated at 4000gph) cranked up but water was literally spilling over the front glass. So I turned it down a bit which allowed my to close the drain a tad....this made everything near silent. Im heading to Orlando on business today and figure I'll stop by WorldWideCorals to see if they have anything pretty I can add to my new tank. =)

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup...TBS rock. I'm waiting on my next shipment but in all honesty I may not even need it. The custom sump is working great. I had it already dup and running for a few months, plunged into my custom frag tank (all in my basement fish room)...so getting the elos up and running was quite easy. I started with the drain pipe wide open and had my return pump (rated at 4000gph) cranked up but water was literally spilling over the front glass. So I turned it down a bit which allowed my to close the drain a tad....this made everything near silent. Im heading to Orlando on business today and figure I'll stop by WorldWideCorals to see if they have anything pretty I can add to my new tank. =)
Awesome. Watch out for gators. ;)
I'm running the Vectra L1 on my 120xl. Had to close the valve on my drain a bit to stop the gurgling. The dial on the Quiet Drain is about 95% open.
It's a short straight drop from the tank to the sump. I think the 1.25" pipe was just too much drain in this configuration.
The Vectra is running at 75%.

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love the stand, how do you attach the wood pieces to the steel? (how much $ did it cost in total, for steel frame and panels)

Zoom_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really enjoying the attention to detail you put in to this build. great work.

OP
OP
TighTT

TighTT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love the stand, how do you attach the wood pieces to the steel? (how much $ did it cost in total, for steel frame and panels)

Most of the wood pieces are held on with magnets that are counter-sunk into the panels. I don't really like discussing cost....give ELOS a call and they can give you a quote.

did the blenny make it?

Not sure yet....although I haven't seen him in a while.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update!

OP
OP
TighTT

TighTT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:A few months ago I was trying to decide which route to go in terms of rock for the tank. I went back and forth between Real Reef rock and rock from Tampa bay saltwater. After rearing as much as possible, I decided to take the plunge with the Tampa Bay rock, knowing quite well that there is a huge risk in getting rock from the ocean (hitchhikers, bad algae, etc). Well, my fears were realized when, after putting in a few pieces of "test" corals (few montys, few acros, few zoas) into the tank and getting a call from my wife while I was at work "There is a huge crab eating your coral!!". Over the next few weeks I pulled out over 6 gorilla crabs of varying sizes. I also have a suspicion that a mantis ship is lurking in my tank somewhere (as evident by the slain crabs I keep finding). So, seeing as though the tank only has two fish in it and a handful of corals (my full livestock list is in my basement frag tank), I decided to cut my losses and pull ALL the TBS rock out and put Real reef rock in. I purchased about 140lbs on real reef and began epoxying together various structures. Last night I removed all the TBS rock and tonight I plan to sift through the sand to ensure no unwanted pests are lurking. Then I'll re-scape the tank with the pest-free rock. In addition to the gorilla crabs there must be tons of pistol shrimp in there...the constant clicking is driving me nuts!

Ending thoughts: having been in this hobby for 15+ years and spending countless thousands of dollars on having a serious acro tank....its simply NOT worth the risk of building a dream setup only to find years later that there are predatory pests inhabiting the tank and, by then, its too difficult to break it down. Since my tank is still in its infancy...now is the time to fix this mistake and have a solid foundation for success.

KenJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree man made rock that is never seen the sea is the best. The clicking may just be a mantis shrimp they are some of the best hunters of anything that lives. I had one that came in on a rock he was the hardest thing i ever had to get out of my tank. I had to sacrafice some mushrooms on a small piece of rock to get him out. Good thing you found out now and not after hundreds of dollars later...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 149 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back