Build thread: ELOS 160XL Diamond line

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my fears were realized when, after putting in a few pieces of "test" corals (few montys, few acros, few zoas) into the tank and getting a call from my wife while I was at work "There is a huge crab eating your coral!!". Over the next few weeks I pulled out over 6 gorilla crabs of varying sizes. I also have a suspicion that a mantis ship is lurking in my tank somewhere (as evident by the slain crabs I keep finding).
This is quite normal and expected with TBS. Not normally too big a deal.
But I guess if you are moving over a bunch of old coral it can be a bigger issue.
Never bothered me much though. Especially the mantis. I've had 4 in the tank before. I just pull them out as they get brave and come out looking for food.
But you're right... if it's something that's bothering you, better to take care of it now rather than later when it will be much more difficult.
Maybe i'm nuts but I always liked the click of the pistol shrimps too. haha

Any new pics? I liked how the scape was looking. :)

clownsrcool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with you OP. I'm a one and done TBS customer. I wished I would have done all Marco prime cut rocks like I almost chose instead and spent 1/4 of the price.

OP
OP
TighTT

TighTT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is quite normal and expected with TBS. Not normally too big a deal.
But I guess if you are moving over a bunch of old coral it can be a bigger issue.
Never bothered me much though. Especially the mantis. I've had 4 in the tank before. I just pull them out as they get brave and come out looking for food.
But you're right... if it's something that's bothering you, better to take care of it now rather than later when it will be much more difficult.
Maybe i'm nuts but I always liked the click of the pistol shrimps too. haha

Any new pics? I liked how the scape was looking. :)

Once I get the new rock in I'll snap some pics. =)

Regarding the rock....its not something that bothers me.....its something that, for an acro dominant tank, is a 100% deal breaker. Keeping acros for years and years (same colony) is difficult enough under optimal circumstances....then adding in the known threat of acro eating crabs is simply crazy. Regarding the mantis shrimp, I hope to have my tank overflowing with corals one day. *If* Im ever lucky enough to get there...that will be the day the mantis shows himself and I'll be unable to catch him without knocking over my rock work/breaking branches of corals....again, major deal breaker.

OP
OP
TighTT

TighTT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update:

All the old rock is out and new RealReef rock is in. I epoxied several pieces together in order to create separate structures to eventually hold all my acros. I moved all of my fish into the tank and about half of my corals. Some pics:

ELOS160xl2-vi.jpg

ELOS160xl3-vi.jpg

ELOS160xl4-vi.jpg

ELOS160xl5-vi.jpg

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! That stylo is huge!
I dig the floating piece of rock in the last pic. :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dude it looks great!

OP
OP
TighTT

TighTT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! That stylo is huge!
I dig the floating piece of rock in the last pic. :)

Thanks! It was about twice that size but had to be trimmed so I could fit it into a bucket when I moved my tank. I actually have several 6+ inch colonies that Im going to put up for sale soon....its an ORA purple stylo.

Mrwilcox281

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic build!! :) Could we get some more picture of the sump room? Maybe with a break down of what you are using?

Love the kitchen BTW...

OP
OP
TighTT

TighTT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic build!! :) Could we get some more picture of the sump room? Maybe with a break down of what you are using?

Love the kitchen BTW...

Thanks! I still need to clean-up my wiring, move some things around, oh...and the recirc tank is currently offline until the new stand is installed.

Here are some pics:

Diablo DC skimmer, Vertex calcium reactor with CarbonDoser regulator, Avast Marine skimate collection cup, MyReef creations sump, and MarsHydro light for the refugium:

55493749835394-vi.jpg

A few days after cleaning:

58493749838327-vi.jpg

CA reactor:

01493749841024-vi.jpg

At night:

51493749831445-vi.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice!

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice setup and house! Looks great!

You make me want to have sand in my tank

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 31.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 59 79.7%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.4%
Back