Building a 600 gallon acrylic tank

Harris3005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya. Once the tank was done he erased all the content of me from his channel and started saying he built the tank. What a fake

That's some good inside info right there! I must admit to watching his videos and taking them at face value! Was it the big square tank "he" built for rays that you are talking about or another one?

OP
OP
Cabinetman

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's some good inside info right there! I must admit to watching his videos and taking them at face value! Was it the big square tank "he" built for rays that you are talking about or another one?

The new one he's showing. The 375 gallon. I've actually got the ones he had the Rays in. Now them are some tanks. One has a blown out Seam on one end and the other has the overflow box falling off. Bought them both for $80 each. They are not even worth that. He butchered them. Big mistake trusting him that's for sure.

rockworm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Harris3005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new one he's showing. The 375 gallon. I've actually got the ones he had the Rays in. Now them are some tanks. One has a blown out Seam on one end and the other has the overflow box falling off. Bought them both for $80 each. They are not even worth that. He butchered them. Big mistake trusting him that's for sure.

I think I know which one you mean now, currently houses an Arrowana if I'm correct. With something like 17 videos on how "he" built it! Stuff like that makes my blood boil. I've had a couple of friends have credit taken from them for academic work and ideas without being cited or referenced and it's horrible.

I've often wondered how his builds work out long term so that answers my question!

OP
OP
Cabinetman

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I know which one you mean now, currently houses an Arrowana if I'm correct. With something like 17 videos on how "he" built it! Stuff like that makes my blood boil. I've had a couple of friends have credit taken from them for academic work and ideas without being cited or referenced and it's horrible.

I've often wondered how his builds work out long term so that answers my question!

I'm ticked to say the least. He's got some nerve is all I can say. Made me big promises that he was going to tell everyone I made it and give them my contact info. Now I know why he didn't wAnt any pics or video of him at my shop.

OP
OP
Cabinetman

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So back to my tank build.. Usually I build all my tanks out of 3/4 stock and I was thinking I was going to build my 600 out of it to but I've decided to make the main part of the tank out of 1" and the bottom will be 3/4. For an extra $500 in material I've decided it's worth the investment. Just going to tske a bit longer to get materials.

OP
OP
Cabinetman

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the day I went to order my material to build my tank I had it all ordered and was on my way home but the thought of having to buy a whole 4x8 sheet just for one side of the tank bugged me so I called my supplier back and bugged her asking if there was any wAy she could get me wider sheets. Well she got back to me saying she can get the same stuff I've been using in 120"x80x1" thick sheets. Well that changed everything! Now my plan is to build a 120x36x28" tall tank. It will be less gallons but a 10ft tank will be way nicer I think. So I guess I gotta whip up a new stand. I got my little tank building area fixed up some. Got an oil furnace hooked up for heat...its winter and cold here in Nova Scotia lol and started emptying out my stacked tanks. My 350 is also sold too so I gotta make this happen now. I will be ordering the supplies on the 3rd as that's when they open again. More to come:)

OP
OP
Cabinetman

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would you guys be sour if you built a tank for someone who promised to tell his YouTube audience you built it and was going to send anybody looking to have a tank built your way as payment for the work... This is not just a guy with a few subs either. I think he's got nearly 400k now. Then once the tank, which was nearly perfect was done they said screw you and went on to take credit for building it and on top of all that showed the jigs you designed and the techniques you developed on a YouTube channel that makes him lots of money? The making money off it and showing the jigs I made is what really got me fired up. That's just not right. Would you just keep quiet?

OP
OP
Cabinetman

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update... Material is all paid for and should be at my suppliers next week sometime. I've done a bunch of measuring and humming and hawing and I've decided I'm going to build the tank a bit wider to. Either 38" or 40". Mostly leaning towards 40". That will make the tank 580 gallon. Can't wait till this stuff shows up and I can get started!

OP
OP
Cabinetman

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I burned thru the build this weekend. Didn't get enough interest to spend a bunch of time doing vids. Anyway here's a few pics I snapped during the process. I ended up going 120"x38"x28" for a total of 550 gallon.
IMG_2115.JPG
IMG_2118.JPG
IMG_2126.JPG
IMG_2128.JPG
IMG_2132.JPG
IMG_2138.JPG
IMG_2139.JPG
IMG_2146.JPG

And here's a vid I shot having fun with my boys

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back