Building a 600 gallon acrylic tank

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if you have ever had problems with the euro brace method you used with this tank construction versus a solid top and routed out access. I say that cause I built some per a customer specs a few years ago for a invert system. I noticed after long term use the tank face had splits at the top where the bracing was welded together that started into the face panels. Customer used metal halide lights mounted close to the tanks which may be a factor. I have not made tanks like that for anyone else so I have no other reference about the build. Tanks we only about 10" or 12" deep with 36" to 48" lengths out of .354 or .472 cell cast materials (Plexiglass G). I always use a full top unless I factor or rimless during the plan stage.

crowndroyal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey can you tell us what you used for the trim ?

type of trim thickness etc great build cant wait to see this sucka filled

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
this is awesome. I saw your video with the tangs and your fish look soooo healthy and fat. That sohal is legit amazing, I dont think I have ever seen one so big in a home tank.

You should post some updates here or make a new thread.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man, loved this build! I have built a couple 120 gallons and an 8 foot 240. I am planning on an 96x48x30 build this winter. I am thinking 3/4 sides and 1/2 top and bottom.

Do you think I need a 3/4 bottom? Also, I have never had to clamp my tank when glueing the bottom or top down. I noticed that you had a ton of clamps. I know you dont use a ton of clamping pressure...but have you tried not using clamps?

Thanks for any info. And yeah.. some of the king of DIY builds are total bull. Sorry to hear you got burned.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Cabinetman

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man, loved this build! I have built a couple 120 gallons and an 8 foot 240. I am planning on an 96x48x30 build this winter. I am thinking 3/4 sides and 1/2 top and bottom.

Do you think I need a 3/4 bottom? Also, I have never had to clamp my tank when glueing the bottom or top down. I noticed that you had a ton of clamps. I know you dont use a ton of clamping pressure...but have you tried not using clamps?

Thanks for any info. And yeah.. some of the king of DIY builds are total bull. Sorry to hear you got burned.

Thanks!
I just made a 375 8x3x2 and used 1/2 for the bottom and 3/4 for the sides. I didn’t like moving it around with the thin bottom at all. Especially if I had to put pressure on it. Anyway it’s full and doing fine. I always clamp. It’s the only sure way to get it right every time. I don’t think I’d go 30” tall using 3/4 either. I have a 12’ x4’x3’ wooden tank now that has a 30” tall window the finished off at 24” between the framing and 11’ long and it has bowed a lot. My 10’ I used 1”

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 24" tall 8 footer didnt bow much at all. (Arcylite GP). I thought 3/4 would be enough for the 30" but a bowing in wall tank would look soooo ghetto so I guess it's time to get the wallet out and go 1".

Thanks for the tips!!

OP
OP
Cabinetman

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 24" tall 8 footer didnt bow much at all. (Arcylite GP). I thought 3/4 would be enough for the 30" but a bowing in wall tank would look soooo ghetto so I guess it's time to get the wallet out and go 1".

Thanks for the tips!!
I use acrylite as well. You should be able to get 120”x80” x7x8 in acrylite. . It’s good acrylic and welds better than other stuff I’ve used. Softer I think.

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke to my acrylic dealer today. There is not a single sheet of 96x60 3/4" available nor 1". Acrylite isn't carrying them in the US because...wait for it... the tariffs are too high with china.

Another local supplier has some stuff from Indonesia, it is called Acricast. never heard of it, I told him I used some imported stuff labeled marga cipta and it would not weld and eventually came apart. He said this company had the same problem but reformulated. So tempting as it is CHEAP. Thoughts?

ps.. I dont know why it started typing in bold.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I missed it being mentioned but what is the hole for?

3C88D1D5-9E11-485C-9680-4C82FD1D286D.jpeg

OP
OP
Cabinetman

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke to my acrylic dealer today. There is not a single sheet of 96x60 3/4" available nor 1". Acrylite isn't carrying them in the US because...wait for it... the tariffs are too high with china.

Another local supplier has some stuff from Indonesia, it is called Acricast. never heard of it, I told him I used some imported stuff labeled marga cipta and it would not weld and eventually came apart. He said this company had the same problem but reformulated. So tempting as it is CHEAP. Thoughts?

ps.. I dont know why it started typing in bold.
I just did a tank where buddy bought his own acrylic and it was the marga cipta stuff. I got it welded but the soak time was insane. I was waiting 3 mins to pull the pins. And it still didn’t ooze our like the acrilite. Try looking for the 120”x80”x .9 I think it is. You might have better luck. I told buddy his acrylic sucked let’s hope she don’t blow! It’s a 375 8x3x2

image.jpg

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah.. I kept rewetting the seams on the marga cipta. The 120 I built eventually slowly started to separate. I found a source of plexiglass G that is not outrageous.
Looking at $2600 in acrylic for this build. But I will have two 18x 96 x1" pieces of acrylic left over. Can make some rimless frag tanks. It literally never ends. Lol

Back