Building a stand

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were to build my own stand out of plywood, what are all the necessary tools I would need to do that?

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tape measure. Table saw preferably but if good with one, a circular with some clamps and a guide would work as well. Drill. Electric or air Sander or big arms. Lol. A square and a level (preferably a level as long as your stand)
Measure twice, cut once. Wood glue to all joints. (Or at least I would, may not be required though)
Hmmmmm. I think that may be it. What type of ply are you looking to use? Thickness?

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tape measure. Table saw preferably but if good with one, a circular with some clamps and a guide would work as well. Drill. Electric or air Sander or big arms. Lol. A square and a level (preferably a level as long as your stand)
Measure twice, cut once. Wood glue to all joints. (Or at least I would, may not be required though)
Hmmmmm. I think that may be it. What type of ply are you looking to use? Thickness?
Probably 3/4 birch if I do end up going through with it. Just not sure if it's worth building one or just buying one since I don't have all the tools.

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The perk to building is being able to customize for your sump, access, maybe a frag ledge off to the side by tank, an area to run electrical and build a mounting board for controls, etc. Its all what you want to get out of it. If just need a basic stand, it may be cheaper to just outright buy one or find one used on C.list as the tool budget may add up. But then...... you've got tools for all kinda cool projects. A canopy, boxes to cover ato units, bird houses and the like. :cool:
I've seen some pretty awesome DIY stands.

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The perk to building is being able to customize for your sump, access, maybe a frag ledge off to the side by tank, an area to run electrical and build a mounting board for controls, etc. Its all what you want to get out of it. If just need a basic stand, it may be cheaper to just outright buy one or find one used on C.list as the tool budget may add up. But then...... you've got tools for all kinda cool projects. A canopy, boxes to cover ato units, bird houses and the like. :cool:
I've seen some pretty awesome DIY stands.
And that's sort of the reason I want to build one too that way I can make it to my likings and add on extra little things. I did look online on lowes, and they have a porter cable table saw for I think $165. Maybe not the best brand ever when it comes to tools but heck, I'm sure it will be just fine for my purpose lol.

ss95003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would invest in a good miter saw vs table saw. unless you plan on doing a ton of wood working you can get away without having a table saw buy just using a circular saw and a guide. If you got a compound miter saw you will thank yourself later lot of uses for around the house projects.

Spiceman_Steve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would invest in a good miter saw vs table saw. unless you plan on doing a ton of wood working you can get away without having a table saw buy just using a circular saw and a guide. If you got a compound miter saw you will thank yourself later lot of uses for around the house projects.
Get some used tools. You can get a miter saw, cordless drill/batteries for cheap.

SteveSTL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post where you're located or check the local reef club page. Chances are there's a woodworker near you who would be more than happy to help you for a bottle of the good stuff or beer or whatever.

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you cut a square out of the middle of a piece of plywood with a circular saw? Do you have to drill holes first at each corner?

SteveSTL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mark out the square and then grab the circular saw. There is a little handle that allows you to retract the blade guard. Retract the blade guard all the way and then line up the blade with the inside of the pencil mark. Lift the saw ever so slightly and then turn it on. Slowly plunge the blade into the wood and cut to the corner. Do that on all for sides and then finish the corners with a handsaw.

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mark out the square and then grab the circular saw. There is a little handle that allows you to retract the blade guard. Retract the blade guard all the way and then line up the blade with the inside of the pencil mark. Lift the saw ever so slightly and then turn it on. Slowly plunge the blade into the wood and cut to the corner. Do that on all for sides and then finish the corners with a handsaw.

It makes so much more sense now lol. I've been looking for a video showing how to do that. Guess I just didn't search the right thing. It looks pretty easy as long as you take your time. Thanks!

ss95003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can use a guide (piece of straight wood, clamped in place) so you but straight. You aren't going to be able to follow that line dead straight with out tons of practice and then it's still easy to wobble.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back