Building my own stand

TTTony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After making a few stands for other people , I'm going to be finishing mine today. It's walnut wood with 2 front and 2 side doors, I'm going to just clear coat the wood.

image.jpeg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good!

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the walnut!

Even with a clear coat, I would recommend "staining" the wood with a natural stain or wood conditioner prior to sealing and finishing the stand. The reason for this is that the stain/conditioner will fill the pores of the wood prior to being sealed. This will allow your finish to create a flatter seal coat on the wood providing a better initial seal of the walnut. The following finishing coats will bond with the initial seal coat and create a strong finish that will last longer.
We have finished all of our natural finish jobs this way for years, and the protective finish lasts much longer when adding this simple step. (That's a lot of "finishes".)

OP
OP
TTTony

TTTony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the info, I planned on tongue oil followed up by some semi gloss pre cat lacquer

OP
OP
TTTony

TTTony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to try to teck the tank and some plumbing first, and then I will see if I'm going to do a standard canopy 10"-12" or a floating one

FrankAbagnale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so freaking jealous! I love walnut and really wanted to use it on my newest stand. I just didn't have great access to any at the time and ended up using red oak.

Also, your stand turned out great!

oodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job I'm getting ideas now I to need a new stand mine is a press wood junk from petco and it won't hold a sump I have been running hob for to long well 2 years now can't do it any more lol well I just hope mine is only half as nice as that

oodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I'm going to go with a almost black finish and I have in my head a 2 door bottom to hold sump with a drawer Above it to place my chemicals dry food ect and a canopy it's going to be for a smaller 50gal tall tank

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back