Bullying Leopard Wrasse

charged

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
My male Bipartus has been harassing my female to the point where she only comes out a few hours a day. I finally caught the male and have him in a temporary set up. My question is would the Male go back to harassing the female if I put him back in a few weeks? I'd like to add 2 more to my DT if it's safe too.

TY

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally in home aquaria females will transition to males causing aggression. Probably best to only keep one. @evolved can comment more I'm sure.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
M. bipartitus males can be tricky in compatibility with a closed system. Sometimes they're fine with females, sometimes they're aggressive to the point of killing them. Unfortunately it seems you have one a bit in-between and trending towards the latter area. Best to keep him without any conspecifics, I'm afraid.

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can keep multiple females with one one male usually but if the male is a bully I'd get rid of him and put a few more females in and eventually you'll have another male

jenreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honestly, no room for a bully in my tank. If he is a brute, probably will always be a brute. You are taking a risk by putting him back in with the female.
I concur with buying a few more females and let them sort it out as to who goes male.

OP
OP
C

charged

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
M. bipartitus males can be tricky in compatibility with a closed system. Sometimes they're fine with females, sometimes they're aggressive to the point of killing them. Unfortunately it seems you have one a bit in-between and trending towards the latter area. Best to keep him without any conspecifics, I'm afraid.
To bad. He is beautiful fish. I had 3 go in at the same time. 1 died after a few weeks, 1 turned to a male quickly and grew fast. been in 3 years but didn't start harassing until 6 months ago. Would I be OK adding 2 females?

TY

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I be OK adding 2 females?
Maybe? There's no way to be certain with that.
Usually, once a male flips the aggression switch, it's turned on for good. You could end up with 3 dead females.
There's also a chance that if his aggression tenancies are mild, having 3 females to disperse it on could be helpful.

If it were me, I would decide if I wanted to keep the male only, or re-home him in favor of multiple females. However, it's worth noting that if one of those females eventually transitions without this male, you could experience the same problem again. That's not likely, but certainly possible.

OP
OP
C

charged

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe? There's no way to be certain with that.
Usually, once a male flips the aggression switch, it's turned on for good. You could end up with 3 dead females.
There's also a chance that if his aggression tenancies are mild, having 3 females to disperse it on could be helpful.

If it were me, I would decide if I wanted to keep the male only, or re-home him in favor of multiple females. However, it's worth noting that if one of those females eventually transitions without this male, you could experience the same problem again. That's not likely, but certainly possible.
I figured that. TY for your help. Hate to see him go.

Back