Buying a four year old used set up ?

VitaminD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came across used 65 gallon set up that was broken down, see pic -
I'm wondering if I should get it, hesitant because of the four-year age in the service life of the components – to the best of my knowledge all of the items are approximately four years old except for the light which is slightly newer.I really wanted a 90, was even thinking about using everything but the tank in the stand and selling that off. I appreciate any opinions.

IMG_0061.JPG

IMG_0060.JPG

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it a pass.

Anyone in this hobby long enough knows that equipment and tanks lose a lot of their whole sale value when resold 4 years down the line. It's not even close to a deal.

Keep looking and welcome to R2R. :)

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience is always a virtue when shopping for a deal, but....

A deal on used gear is a lot more relative than folks are making it out to be.

First, consider that $750 is certainly cheaper than buying new.
Second, it's a fairly premium setup compared to the "normal" people are referring to. The Maxspect light is the closest thing on the tank to chinese junk, for example....and the Razor is a nice light. I have one just like it. :)
Third, $750 is only "too much" if you can actually get something similar for cheaper. But can you? It's easy for folks to say "too much, go cheaper", but being able to is not a given.

I'd ask @Tahoe61 and @Reefrookie220 to help you shop for BETTER and CHEAPER before assuming anything.

In my opinion, $750 is not a bad deal when it's all sitting there waiting to go home with you.

This is also a legit question: Do you need a better deal?

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Second, it's a fairly premium setup compared to the "normal" people are referring to. The Maxspect light is the closest thing on the tank to chinese junk, for example....and the Razor is a nice light. I have one just like it. :)
Third, $750 is only "too much" if you can actually get something similar for cheaper. But can you? It's easy for folks to say "too much, go cheaper", but being able to is not a given.

I'd ask @Tahoe61 and @Reefrookie220 to help you shop for BETTER and CHEAPER before assuming anything.

In my opinion, $750 is not a bad deal when it's all sitting there waiting to go home with you.

Fair points! Also other things to consider such as location, as in that's pricey for my area.

In the end your ultimately right, does the OP need a better deal?

My points of concern would be with the equipment- was it cleaned? Soaked? Or put up grimy after 4 years of use?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Actually I would be happy too, if the OP is regional to me. I shop Craigslist for tanks frequently. The op asked for opinions and others are free to offer their opinions without other posters becoming defensive. For a 4 year old 65 gallon dirty tank and stand IMO anyone can find a better deal or even go up in the price range for a better product. ;)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back