Calcium at 500 plus

gfox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last couple of months my calcium has been over 500 plus and my alk at 9.Don't know how it got that high.I do have a kalk reactor that i use for top off water.Any way to lower the calcium?

reefmagic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why lower? 500 calcium and alk of 9 is perfectly fine.

reefmagic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess it depends on how much over 500 you mean like 520 is fine 800 is bad.

reefmagic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
560 is fine just don't dose anymore wait for it to come down naturally to 400s.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
560 is fine just don't dose anymore wait for it to come down naturally to 400s.

420-450 is usually where I like mine but if it goes higher I don't fret too much

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
560 ppm calcium is no concern. Some salt mixes start that high.

Very long term use if limewater (kalkwasser) will slowly boost calcium unless you do water changes. I found that using a lower calcium mix was a good idea to keep mine in check.

Here's a section of one of my articles:

Calcium (Ca). In my reef aquarium, I use only Instant Ocean salt and I have not added any additional calcium except as limewater for a number of years (during which time I have continued regular 1% daily water changes). So why is my calcium level (472 mg/L) higher than one would normally expect for Instant Ocean (maybe between 350 and 400 mg/L)? That long term rise in calcium is actually the expected result when using limewater to maintain alkalinity.

Limewater adds calcium and alkalinity in exactly the same proportions as in pure calcium carbonate. So if that is what is used by corals to make skeletons, and what precipitates on pumps and such, then calcium would stay constant.

But both magnesium and strontium get into growing calcium carbonate crystals in place of some of the calcium. A few percent of the calcium is replaced this way. Consequently, since the same amount of alkalinity (the carbonate) is used over time, and somewhat less than the balancing amount of calcium, calcium rises if alkalinity is maintained. I’m happy to see the result match the theory, and the calcium level seems fine to me.

OP
OP
gfox

gfox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy for the article.I am not someone who test their water a constant basis.I had been using Reef Crystals since GOD was a boy and got fed up with how dirty my water change barrel was getting.So i switch to Fritz to see how i like that.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back