Calcium Chloride question

Kyle Rinker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been starting to use Randy's recipe #1 for my mixed reef tank. Like many other folks, I have been unable to find Dow Flake anywhere around me. However, Lowes carries SafeStep Extreme 7300, which the company fact sheet lists as "pure CaCl2". I mixed my first batch today and all dissolved very well with no solid precipitates. However, while the solution remains clear, it does have a yellow tint to it.
I have uploaded a photo so you can see what I am talking about. The solution on the right is the calcium chloride. The solution on the left is the 2 part magnesium mix from BRS. There is a very clear distinction in color.
I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I worry it will not be safe to use. Any advice? Thanks.

View attachment calcium.jpg

bhavy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya
Don't use it.
BRS stuff is medical grade! Not worth the $20 you'll save

OP
OP
Kyle Rinker

Kyle Rinker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it is worth and in case anyone else ever stumbles upon this issue, I used an API ammonia test to check out my calcium chloride solution. Using the saltwater scale, the reading came out at 4 ppm. I'm not sure how accurate this is considering the concentration BN of the solution but it was riddled with ammonia regardless. I did not even bother testing phosphates.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it is worth and in case anyone else ever stumbles upon this issue, I used an API ammonia test to check out my calcium chloride solution. Using the saltwater scale, the reading came out at 4 ppm. I'm not sure how accurate this is considering the concentration BN of the solution but it was riddled with ammonia regardless. I did not even bother testing phosphates.

I agree that ammonia can be a concern in additives, and I tested Dowflake and other hobby grades for ammonia and found some but not enough to worry about.

But realistically, 4 ppm is not likely a substantial concern for daily dosing. Suppose you boost the tank by 20 ppm calcium per day (a pretty large dose). How much ammonia is that adding?

To boost calcium by 20 ppm using my Recipe #1 takes 0.205 L added to 100 L of aquarium water.

So the dilution factor is 0.205/100 = 0.002.

Thus the ammonia at 4 ppm drops to only 0.002 x 4 ppm = 0.008 ppm.

So even if you add that all at once, it isn't going to reach a toxic level in the aquarium.

OP
OP
Kyle Rinker

Kyle Rinker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Randy. That's why forums like this are invaluable to me. I am still concerned about what other impurities maybe in this salt mix, considering how it turned the RO water yellow. Is that perhaps the bromide in the solution? I should state it started out colorless but within 10 minutes had a slight yellow hue and the longer it set the darker the color got, up to about 5 hours past the point of mixture.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right. I really don't know if that material is adequately pure or not, and to determine it is OK either takes a fair amount of trial and error testing by many folks, or expensive testing.

wcharon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy... is there a substitute for Downflakes or BRS Calcium Chloride??? The shipping costs to Puerto Rico is getting me crazy.

Please give me some insights and thanks in advance...

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also Mrs. Wagners (Pickling products) makes a calcium chloride (crisper) product.

wcharon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably do not get Prestone Driveway Heat since you don't get much ice and snow. lol

Some folks use Leslies Pool calcium chloride.

jajajjaja Randy that's true. I will check in a local pool store to see what I get or Amazon.

Damp-Rid is calcium chloride

Thanks. I will checkit at Amazon.

Also Mrs. Wagners (Pickling products) makes a calcium chloride (crisper) product.

Thanks. I will check it at Amazon also.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW

Calcium chloride is used to speed hardening of concrete at low temperatures.

Check around at your l0cal redimix places and ask for calcium chloride.

my .02

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back