Can I get a mandarin?

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, because hobbyists didn't support the program. I would love to get my hands on a captive bred mandarin.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, because hobbyists didn't support the program. I would love to get my hands on a captive bred mandarin.
Ditto.
Would have saved a lotta pain and bandwidth not having how your mandarin is gonna die threads.
Woulda saved a lotta mandarins too.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
brilliant! Do you have it flowing waterfall style back into the tank or did you plumb it with pvc?
It empties back into the tank just at the water level and there is a PVC window screen in the trough so the water just cascades back in with no splashing.

Fredlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a mandarin goby in my Biocube 14 he was doing just fine when I bought him he was already eating frozen foods at the fish store never had problems he was nice and fat

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto.
Would have saved a lotta pain and bandwidth not having how your mandarin is gonna die threads.
Woulda saved a lotta mandarins too.

I think we still would have lost a lot of captives, because they really weren't eating well. Maybe we would have figured that out by now, if they hadn't of "closed it down". WCs don't eat well either! 99.9% of WCs will NEVER eat frozen. So, they both don't eat frozen! So, out of the two "identical" fish, people choose the wild caught instead of the captive bred? Knowing the importance of captive breeding in our hobby?? For $15 dollars!!!!!!!!!

Just so "tone" don't trip me up..... I'm being silly-dramatic with all of my "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and bold. :)

jerseypete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mandarin and 2 wrasse in a 100g and a 20g fuge. In order to insure I had enough pods for all. I started breeding pods. I have two 3 gallon jugs. With a heater and air line. Easiest thing to do. Was getting expensive with buying phyto for raising pods. So I started culturing phyto. In all it cost me 100 bucks for 3 containers heater air pump. Had all fish for 2 years now no problems. Just was away from the tank on vacation for 2 weeks. Came back mandarin is still fat and happy. He eats frozen also. Took about 2 weeks to get eating frozen. Would pipette frozen right in his area. All other fish would come in like crazy. Seems like he learned from seeing all other fish eat. It sometimes is a pain collecting pods and making saltwater for waterchanges on pod containers. But when I look at my tank at night I can see 1000's all over the rocks. But sometimes it's just the work you have to do to ensure you have a happy tank.
ecd15d4ccb5bf14861619dbe6922603f.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we still would have lost a lot of captives, because they really weren't eating well. Maybe we would have figured that out by now, if they hadn't of "closed it down". WCs don't eat well either! 99.9% of WCs will NEVER eat frozen. So, they both don't eat frozen! So, out of the two "identical" fish, people choose the wild caught instead of the captive bred? Knowing the importance of captive breeding in our hobby?? For $15 dollars!!!!!!!!!

Just so "tone" don't trip me up..... I'm being silly-dramatic with all of my "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and bold. :)
yea. I havent finished my coffee yet either

OP
OP
Reef kid

Reef kid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, learning a lot haha, thanks Paul for the info, that makes a lot of sense and I think that is what I am going to do.

JaihWill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread!! Learning a lot, seems like I'll have to start a separate setup to breed pods

OP
OP
Reef kid

Reef kid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Well good guys, figured I'd give an update. He is an absolute pig and can still be seen pecking at pods all day long. Three weeks and he hasn't crashed my pod population although I have been feeding him frozen. Everyone still looks happy and his tail is healing quite well. Here's some photos, sorry they aren't the best.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Well good guys, figured I'd give an update. He is an absolute pig and can still be seen pecking at pods all day long. Three weeks and he hasn't crashed my pod population although I have been feeding him frozen. Everyone still looks happy and his tail is healing quite well. Here's some photos, sorry they aren't the best.
Great to hear.!!!!!!

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef kid, how skinny was your mandarin when you got them? Yours is pretty darn skinny, so that there's already not much room to slip further. If they're taking frozen, they need a lot more of it. You have to change something up, or they might soon be in trouble.

OP
OP
Reef kid

Reef kid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? He is just as big as when I got him. I can make sure he gets more frozen, but he is very clearly eating a lot of pods all day still.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back