Can I mix wrasse?

r.bergonia19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I put two male mccosker wrasse and sixline all together? I'll be putting all of them at the same time.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No the McCoskers will end up one. Six lines can be nasty towards other wrasses..

You could do a male McCoskers and another type of flasher wrasse or two. Only one male per species though.

OP
OP
R

r.bergonia19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No the McCoskers will end up one. Six lines can be nasty towards other wrasses..

You could do a male McCoskers and another type of flasher wrasse or two. Only one male per species though.

Well the mccosker I'm planning to get live in the same tank so would that be ok or still a gamble?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the mccosker I'm planning to get live in the same tank so would that be ok or still a gamble?
No. One specimen per species per tank. And as cmcoker said sixlines get nasty toward other wrasses.

Blue Lip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 red corris, saddle,bird, leopard in the same tank. A six line is notorious for harrasing other fish.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are actually both McCoskers one will kill the other..
Now if you can get a picture of each them you may post it in the "wrasse ID" thread, and check they are both McCoskers. One may be a Carpenters or other similar looking fish..
If they are both McCoskers then they are still maturing and it'd be a Bad idea to house them together

Masomaniac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've housed 2 mccoskers together but one was male and the other was female. Is there anything else in this tank currently? Flasher wrasses should be the first fish to be introduced in a tank.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've housed 2 mccoskers together but one was male and the other was female. Is there anything else in this tank currently? Flasher wrasses should be the first fish to be introduced in a tank.
All too often female flashers will transition into males in aquaria, and once both are males they become quite intolerant of each other.

Tankmates determine when flashers should be added.

OP
OP
R

r.bergonia19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well I have a pair of clowns and a small/med flame angel.

Masomaniac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I can put two male mccosker together?
If one were female and one were male I would say give it a shot due to my experience with a male and a female. Two males you're asking for trouble they might be fine for a month or more but when they stop getting along one will be gone.

OP
OP
R

r.bergonia19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if I add another type of male flasher wouldn't they fight to death too? Isn't like putting two male mccosker?

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if I add another type of male flasher wouldn't they fight to death too? Isn't like putting two male mccosker?
No.. You may need to use an acclimation box, so they can get used to each other.. They may flash at each other, which is pretty cool to see them do, but they are really most concerned within their own species, they are eliminating the competition so to speak.
In the wild that may mean just chasing them off, defending territory. But with nowhere to go in our tanks...
Speaking of which wrasses are prolific jumpers so make sure you have a tight fighting lid.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
R

r.bergonia19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back