Can we use plastic tubs for sump/refug?

BummersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we are gonna do sump and refug in basement utility room directly under tank. LFS guy said we could use big tubs ... Heavy duty ... For sump and refug. Has anyone out there ever done this ? What are things to keep in mind? How do you cover them?
Thanks!!!

reefcleaners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
we are gonna do sump and refug in basement utility room directly under tank. LFS guy said we could use big tubs ... Heavy duty ... For sump and refug. Has anyone out there ever done this ? What are things to keep in mind? How do you cover them?
Thanks!!!

Yes, I have and they work well. Rubbermaid makes some great ones you can find at a Tractor Supply Co

OP
OP
BummersReef

BummersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have and they work well. Rubbermaid makes some great ones you can find at a Tractor Supply Co
thank you! that is exactly what we were hoping to hear! Did you cover them (sump and/or refugium) or can they just be left to open air?

reefcleaners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
They can be left open, assuming you don't have to worry about things getting in. If bugs or kids can get to it, it may be a good idea to enclose it, not necessary cover them.

OP
OP
BummersReef

BummersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be left open, assuming you don't have to worry about things getting in. If bugs or kids can get to it, it may be a good idea to enclose it, not necessary cover them.
how about dogs?? <grin> the kids do forget to give them water sometimes but will they actually drink saltwater? kidding, both are too short and fat to reach them

reefcleaners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sounds like my dog. :)

If you have young kids I would enclose them. Toys fall in. Friends "feed" the tank strange things. It also cuts down on dust contamination.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the 100g in this brand for $70 from Tractor Supply. They might be on sale!

Thanks Rev...way to make me feel good about myself! In all seriousness, we only have one Tractor Supply near me and they didn't have any. To the OP, if you have one near you, it sounds like it's worth a trip.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Haha honestly I would have bought the one you did all day long had I not found it. Sorry about that. :p

JasReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are going to want to seal up the bulkhead that comes with it and use a better one drilled somewhere else. The one that comes with it almost always fails at some point. I found a lot of threads discussing it when I did mine.

100 gallon Rubbermaid for 69.99 at tractor supply. [emoji106]

reef_junkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I capped off the stock bulkhead and added a couple of 2" bulkheads. Also I made a lid for mine hinged to the top. it really cut down the splash and evaporation.

Ares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leave mine open, have a big skimmer in it and mangroves growing out of the middle. They work great. It has happened a couple times that the cat fell in trying to get a fish that lives in it though.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!!!
To the right is the sump, and to the left is the fug...
maria-and-the-girls-1-2-jpg.211582

Inside the sump for flow...
water-flow1-jpg.203034

Filled with rock...
reefrocks-1-jpg.211510

Water jets at work, keeps the detritus suspended for the skimmer to do its job...
imageuploadedbytapatalk1425343736-272417-jpg.222755

briancarterkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't find the photo, but I saw someone once have a kiddie pool in their basement as their sump. Cool thing was it had a sand island in the middle, mangroves, and even a model scale beach umbrella with lounge chairs and tiny pina coladas. It also had a section where they grew out frags. I used to have an unfinished basement under my tank and regret all the cool things I didn't try.

Frozn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have any of you figured a way to surface skim the rubbermaid? I find i have a slight film. Ive added a koralia pump at the surfacr so it slightly sucks air, in hopes that it draw that film into the water.

20160426_202212.jpg

pjsavas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!!!
-150gal Rubbermaid Sump
-Eshopps PSK200 Skimmer
-Jebao rw-15 wave maker
-Jebao 15000 return pump
-Fluval e300 heater
-30+ lbs rubble rock
-Caulerpa and Sea grapes
-Marainand Reef LED lights
-Underneath I have a 30gal with RO hooked up to a Tunze Osmolator

image.jpeg

pjsavas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have any of you figured a way to surface skim the rubbermaid? I find i have a slight film. Ive added a koralia pump at the surfacr so it slightly sucks air, in hopes that it draw that film into the water.

20160426_202212.jpg
Small power head just slightly above the surface to agitate, works great!

image.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back