Candy basslet got complete tail cut off..

Michael43

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I have a candy basslet pair and the bigger guy I found with his tail completely chopped off. Just a little white stump left. So upsetting. On the good side he's eating fine and swims pretty good. Doesn't show signs of infection. It either happened from the god dang 6 line wrasse I assume in the tank or got to close to the powerhead. I caught them both and have in an acclimation box. Should I just let it stay in here and feed healthy foods and pray or should I pull it and medicate in quarantine. Some pics for reference.

IMG_7537.JPG

IMG_7536.JPG

IMG_7534.JPG

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At work (public aquarium) we have a piranha that has been missing its tail since we got it. I don't work with freshwater there so I'm not sure on its story but as long as it doesn't get infected, bullied by other fish or put in too much flow that it can't handle I think it should be fine.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the amount of damage done. It's also entirely possible the tail will be fine without treatment, but once an infection shows up then it's usually too late. :(

Agreed. It's best to head it off. I've seen tails grow back, but there was no damage done to anything but the fin rays themselves in that instance.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 24 31.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 61 79.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.2%
Back