Carbon

Gimli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work in a paint shop and come in contact with some harsh chemicals. I do my due diligence washing my hands and arms and thoroughly rinsing the soap before I worked in the tank. My actual question is a friend of mine gave me some loose carbon and a mesh bag to drop in the sump in case something does get in there. What I need to know is how often does that carbon need to be changed out?

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change mine monthly but it really depends on the type of carbon and pore structure. Some last longer and take out smaller partials others shorter and take out larger partials. I use brs and they have 3 grades. I use the middle. Make sure the carbon is in a high flow area. And after you wash your hands with soap let them dry and rice with water. You don't want soap in your tank either.

OP
OP
Gimli

Gimli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good to know I plan on buying one of the five gallon buckets from Bulk Reef Supply. I guess more my question is the bag I have now has been in there for a month and I don't have anything to replace it with. Is it dangerous to leave it in there too long or will it just become inert and not do anything

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, the rate of filtration will just decrease after a month or so. I have two and I change one each month. That way I use every bit of the carbon. I'm thinking of getting a reactor. They are much more affective than the bag . You may want to think of getting one. Also ask bra what carbon to get. They have a chat future on there site and it's very helpful.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work in a paint shop and come in contact with some harsh chemicals. I do my due diligence washing my hands and arms and thoroughly rinsing the soap before I worked in the tank. My actual question is a friend of mine gave me some loose carbon and a mesh bag to drop in the sump in case something does get in there. What I need to know is how often does that carbon need to be changed out?

You mean from organics coming back off your washed hands? That's no concern, unless you leave soap on them.

Back