Care of Large Polyp Non-Photosynthetic Corals

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks i did your method and worked perfectly

Photo147.jpg

It took 3 days all day in that tub with mysis and every night i would return it to the tank, and every morning put it back in the tub with mysis and one drop of garlic.

Photo148.jpg

After she started to open i fed her in the tank every time she open in there, and now she opens practically all day now.

Photo359-3.jpg

I've got it in a NPS zone i made in my tank with a stalactite

Photo264-3.jpg

Photo805.jpg

Thanks again for your tips , i'm here; https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/me...vity-my-150g-starfire-reef-tank-build-up.html

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great job!

reefobsessed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will open during the day but not as much and as often as in the night. Unless you feed the tank

I feed my tank everyday, still does not open up. I have tried using the tupperware method with no luck so far. I left it in the tupperware for a couple hours but nothing happens. Should I try what basil did (post #42)?

reefobsessed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks i did your method and worked perfectly

Photo147.jpg

It took 3 days all day in that tub with mysis and every night i would return it to the tank, and every morning put it back in the tub with mysis and one drop of garlic.

Photo148.jpg

After she started to open i fed her in the tank every time she open in there, and now she opens practically all day now.

Photo359-3.jpg

I've got it in a NPS zone i made in my tank with a stalactite

Photo264-3.jpg

Photo805.jpg

Thanks again for your tips , i'm here; https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/me...vity-my-150g-starfire-reef-tank-build-up.html

Did yours open in the tupperware? I have been trying for a couple days with no luck.

Last edited:

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did yours open in the tupperware? I have been trying for a couple days with no luck.

Oh yes it opened in the tuperware but only after 3 days of treatment . I left it in there all day long and at night i put it back in the tank to get her rinsed lol all night and every morning put her back in a new tub with fresh new salt water from the tank and some new mysis and a drop of garlic . did that 3-4 days can't remember now. Then one day she opened up and i fed here there each flower. Then put her back. Now she opens buy herself in the tank at different times and when i see her i just take the baster and flush it on her with the mysis , do that 2-3 time in about 10 min time and your done for the day.

Woods

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes it opened in the tuperware but only after 3 days of treatment . I left it in there all day long and at night i put it back in the tank to get her rinsed lol all night and every morning put her back in a new tub with fresh new salt water from the tank and some new mysis and a drop of garlic . did that 3-4 days can't remember now. Then one day she opened up and i fed here there each flower. Then put her back. Now she opens buy herself in the tank at different times and when i see her i just take the baster and flush it on her with the mysis , do that 2-3 time in about 10 min time and your done for the day.

Is it possible to left the coral with the same water without movement all day long?

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put mine in a box in the sump. I got it from a friend and it was slowly dying. After just 3 days feeding and sitting in sump it is looking great. Polyps are opening all day and starting to show signs of growing back. Hope to bring it back and sell it off as it is a lot of work and time to care for. I may frag a small section and try to see if it lives in my display tank without feeding. As I feed a lot and have a lot of tangs that poop all the time.

Towner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Antonias.... food food food. Your sps tank is a low nutrient tank. They are probably not getting enough food. Must spot feed and maybe even tuppaware feed to get them the nutrients they need!

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is how it looks today.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399429092.121920.jpg

And how I have it in the sump. You can see its placed in return section so water flows over the top into the container then overflows into the return area.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399429161.857432.jpg

Towner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sumps a good idea. Low flow helps it to grab more nutrients from the water column. The down side is you can't see it very well or easily!

kentofms

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1417902338.353881.jpg
this is my current sump I plant to use a larger container soon. If I were to put some sun coral in the right stage, theoretically, it could act as a bit of biological filtration and even thrive. Any comments or suggestions on this?

Rosekeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my sun corals. They are about a year and a half old and haven't grown much at all. Feed them mysis shrimp every day.
image.jpg

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda shows you how much food particles there are in the wild. You feed your a little every day, but the sun's are apparently used to much more than that, just to start growing.

At least yours are alive and look good :)

frogman_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've bought these on a few occasions and I couldn't get them to survive. Two died and the other I got to a friend who was able to save the small colony. The weird part is that I ordered some GARF grunge and a few live rocks and I got one small one in on an order. It's clear with a light raspberry hue.
image.jpg

See the growth in3 months! Craziness.
image.jpg
Don't know what it is about this, but it's a beast, eats like a pig and is growing babies up the yingyang. I love the coral, but what gives??? Why did this one decide to take off when the other ones I worked hard to keep kept killing over?

Dang these things are funky sometimes

Sorry for the really bluish images. iPhone pics under actinics

BigMike81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My candy cane hasn't let a tentacle out and I've had it for about 3 wks now, I feed my tank mysis and brine shrimp, and pellets at night. It seems to be on a good morning 7:30 opening, and close about 10 at night. It seems to be healthy and happy I just want to be sure they're getting all they need. I have tried feed with a baster but the food just falls out. Any suggestion on how to get them to cooperate.

frogman_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My candy cane hasn't let a tentacle out and I've had it for about 3 wks now, I feed my tank mysis and brine shrimp, and pellets at night. It seems to be on a good morning 7:30 opening, and close about 10 at night. It seems to be healthy and happy I just want to be sure they're getting all they need. I have tried feed with a baster but the food just falls out. Any suggestion on how to get them to cooperate.

Do you turn off the pumps and power heads when you feed? I shut off everything at first, let it stop them I feed my corals. Let it sit for 30 min and turn each item on one by one to slowly increase flow. My candy canes readily take mysis, but it took me this process to get them to realize the routine.

Hope that's helps a little!?!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 166 61.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.1%
Back