OP
stunreefer

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Candy cane" is a common name generally given to Caulastrea spp., which are mainly photosynthetic, so I wouldn't worry about supplementing by spot feeding.

BigMike81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you turn off the pumps and power heads when you feed? I shut off everything at first, let it stop them I feed my corals. Let it sit for 30 min and turn each item on one by one to slowly increase flow. My candy canes readily take mysis, but it took me this process to get them to realize the routine.

Hope that's helps a little!?!
Thank you it did help, I shut everything down and was successful at getting the food in its mouth and watched it get really big. Bigger than I have ever seen.

BigMike81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Candy cane" is a common name generally given to Caulastrea spp., which are mainly photosynthetic, so I wouldn't worry about supplementing by spot feeding.
Cool, I am glad for that. I did manage to feed it tonight for the first time and am thrilled about that.

frogman_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you it did help, I shut everything down and was successful at getting the food in its mouth and watched it get really big. Bigger than I have ever seen.
Awesome. Great to hear.

I feed mine weekly, they will reward you with better growth and multiple head reproduction. Just make sure you keep your water parameters in check.

Last edited:

frogman_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to share this little colony. 4 months ago, it poked it's little tenticals out... I started feeding it 3 times a week, frozen krill and check out its growth.

Love this coral!
image.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Beautifully written. Shows with my 26 years, youre never informed enough!!!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bumping a good read!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How long do you guys or gals leave your NPS corals without feeding them when you're out of town?

thunderdood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you guys or gals leave your NPS corals without feeding them when you're out of town?

I was on vacation over a week and my Dendros were fine. In my previous 120g tank, I had gone over 3 months without feeding them without problems.

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a small colony of sun coral November last year. As of today, 3 new head popped up. I did induced feeding response a few times in November but since then no direct feeding at all. Mine will bloom everyday, 2 hours before lights out and close up 3 hours before lights on at 5am. Picture taken last night.

Sight_2017_04_20_072146_176.jpg

thunderdood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Dendro farm with the mother colony in the back. Started from 1 head years ago into this and I've also sold a handful of frags. Tentacles are hanging down a bit from turning off the pumps and powerheads for feeding.

upload_2017-4-19_20-44-55.png

OP
OP
stunreefer

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually haven't spot fed the dendros in my reef for well over a year now. They still grow quite well.

With that said, I feed the tank very heavy several times per day, and there's a plethora of copepods and such to feed on at night.

This would not work with newly imported specimens, lightly fed systems, or young systems.

ECOKid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
56ef195117f8c4da9df899ddbf4ad6ff.jpg

I got this up and coming colony when it was jst one head, when tht second one making its way out. A month later, 4 heads, 4 mouths, and theyre loving life. Theyll soon go into a frag system and ill grow them out[emoji16] maybe i can give one a way every few months or so

Quah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How well does food like Fauna Marin LPS pellets work for NPS? Are they an acceptable substitute for frozen?

ECOKid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How well does food like Fauna Marin LPS pellets work for NPS? Are they an acceptable substitute for frozen?
Thats what i feed my NPS. They love it and feeding response is immediate. But feed frozen for a snack here and there just to mix their nutrition up lol.

WeaveAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. Question: does the Elegance coral fall under this category and if so, the one I acquired about 10 days ago was doing very well and opened up within hours and ate right away. But now she stays half closed most of the time as if she's irritated by something. Any thoughts? Thanks.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back