Carib Sea Arag-ALive Fiji Pink Substrate?!

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set my 40B up almost 2yrs ago. Using 60lbs of this substrate. From day one until now I've been plagued with what I (several other reefers also) believe to be Diatoms.
4 Stage RO/DI unit all new filters/membrane/resin. Unit/storage/ATO reservoir all read 0 TDS, using a brand new meter.
Dosing nothing but BRS 2 part via doser. Feed nothing but LRS Reef Frenzy.
Using Reef Crystals. Bi-weekly 5g water changes. Remove water from DT, replace via the sump.

Issue gets worse 1-2 days after every water change. Begins clearing up 2 weeks later. But still visible in small areas. Some dusting on the glass.

Has anyone else had issues with this substrate? Please LMK.

24591f7e0f2fd775480b23a32db7591b.jpg

b3cf9538fa1ec34ab15b4c8e60521ada.jpg

Last edited:

chimmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's your flow? Seems like it might not be enough to export the nutrients to the filtration. I never had diatom issues with high flow, nutrient issues would manifest in other ways (hair algae, etc)

OP
OP
NanaReefer

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gyre XF-130. Got mega flow, no dead spots and all Corals on the SB show great movement [emoji2] No algae except for Coralline. NO3=.02 and PO4=0 per Salifert.
The longer I go without a WC the more it clears up.
Pic taken 28 days without WC.
b39c261df93c69a45f6665c21f13ec25.jpg

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some spots, but I added some more snails recently and they have seemed to stir the sand up some more. My sand is 7 months old, 1 inch - .5inches.

chimmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aren't diatoms typical in the early cycle of a tank? If you're not doing water changes and they're going away, seems like the system is maturing!

jolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do use the Fiji Pink in my 32 gallon, and I have had similar problems. Tank is going on a year and a half old now. I recently started siphoning out the top layer as part of my water change. I rinse the removed sand many times in RODI until it is clear, and then add it back the next time I need to siphon the top layer. This ends up being about 1/2 cup of sand per siphon session. It is helping the sand look better and does not seem to be doing any harm.

OP
OP
NanaReefer

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aren't diatoms typical in the early cycle of a tank? If you're not doing water changes and they're going away, seems like the system is maturing!

My tank is going on 2yrs old. Have been doing bi-weekly WC until recently. What I'm talking about here goes beyond the normal Diatom bloom that is associated with new tanks.

chimmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if it'd be worthwhile to check the chemical makeup of the Fiji pink and see if something in it is contributing. Seems like there might be.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
This the first using caribsea live fijipink and ben 3 months with diatoms thank god im not the only one it was driving me crazy

GOSKN5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happened to me as well.. caused me to go BB haha

reynaldoramon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sound like your dealing with dinos. Hear they typically get worst after WC.

OP
OP
NanaReefer

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely NOT Dinoflagellates. Just know that I've been reefing for 6yrs so I know a little some thing-lol. Still learning though for sure.

I'm pretty sure there's something funky up with this particular substrate. What exactly it is I've no idea. I've spoken with a few ole timers who agree it is Diatoms but as to the exact cause, no clues.
It was per suggestion that I hold off on the WC for a bit to see. I'm doing this now. The majority it gone.
Seems to be that the substrate is reacting to water changes. Why?!

1) Do I remove some or all substrate?
2) Do I switch salt mix? Using Reef Crystals. Could it be the added organic's in RC reacting with substrate?
3) Smaller less invasive WC? Only doing 5g bi-weekly now.

shovelhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had that issue until I started siphoning sand out during water changes. I have around an inch of Fiji pink left and haven't had any more issues. I think my sand bed was just too thick.
One thing I forgot to mention was I switched from reef crystals to regular instant ocean about 6 months ago.

Back