Cat Shark

SeanD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend that doesn't join these boards so I'm asking on his behalf. He has a 125 with a converted 55 sump/refugium and wants a shark. Here is the catch all he has in his tank currently is 2 chocolate chip stars, 1 4-5" yellow tang and a 4" porcupine puffer. Is this possible to add a shark to or what does he need to change?

joeyb54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bigger would be better but he might be able to house a coral cat shark or bamboo shark for a little while.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove the puffer. They are curious and investigate their surroundings with their powerful jaws.

A 125 is also quite narrow, so depending on aquascape may not provide the space needed for a cat shark.

Bloody.Knuckles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a porcupine puffer, bamboo shark, and a snowflake eel together and they have all nipped at the other two, but settled into zones and some sort of truce.

He will want to start planning/saving for a 300+ gallon setup; no less than three feet in length or width.

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend that doesn't join these boards so I'm asking on his behalf. He has a 125 with a converted 55 sump/refugium and wants a shark. Here is the catch all he has in his tank currently is 2 chocolate chip stars, 1 4-5" yellow tang and a 4" porcupine puffer. Is this possible to add a shark to or what does he need to change?

The puffer might nip the shark to death, but otherwise, it could work.

Nope, the puffer has to go. It is guranteed to end in disaster. Benthic sharks will always be killed by puffers. Might take a year, but the puffer will eventually kill them.

As for the tank, it's good for perhaps 2-3 years if he buys it young and small. After that he'd want a 200+ gallon tank at the minimum. Unless it's a Bamboo "Catshark," which isn't really a catshark, and will require a 300+ gallon tank.

OP
OP
SeanD

SeanD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the input. I passed the info on and short version of the story he decided that he did not have the time to maintain the tank (125) with 1 puffer fish and 2 chocolate starfish so he downsized to a 40 breeder and his 125 is now sitting in my living room waiting to become my new reef tank. Sad end of the story is when he downsized he forgot to plug in his heater and his tank is in his basement so the next day puffer was gone and water was 47 degrees.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back