Cheap light for 10g QT?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At most you'd want something like a Orbit Marine.
Orbit Marine LED Product Support (shows PAR data....perfect for a 10 Gallon)

Fully programmable, sunrise/sunset et al.....$130.

But really all you'd need is a basic strip that turns on and off like their True Lumen Pro's.

Two 12" strips at about $40/ea should do it.

Let me know if you're into DIY....that's half-again cheaper. :)

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At most you'd want something like a Orbit Marine.
Orbit Marine LED Product Support (shows PAR data....perfect for a 10 Gallon)

Fully programmable, sunrise/sunset et al.....$130.

But really all you'd need is a basic strip that turns on and off like their True Lumen Pro's.

Two 12" strips at about $40/ea should do it.

Let me know if you're into DIY....that's half-again cheaper. :)
I've never messed with diy led but consider myself pretty handy. I'm not afraid to try something if it will save [emoji383]

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GU10 bulbs, 3 watts each, 30º lenses...use a row of nine bulbs and sockets. Sockets usually go for around 50¢ and bulbs for $1-$2.

With the mega-lenses it uses, it's designed for suspending/mounting the emitters about 12 inches over the water.

The sockets get wired to standard AC power. I cut the end off an extension cord to use for the power so I'd have a nice plug on it. I just bought Radio Shack wire for the sockets...think it was 22 gauge?

No solder.

I used wirenuts originally. Switched to Wago lever-nuts for the latest build.

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GU10 bulbs, 3 watts each, 30º lenses...use a row of nine bulbs and sockets. Sockets usually go for around 50¢ and bulbs for $1-$2.

With the mega-lenses it uses, it's designed for suspending/mounting the emitters about 12 inches over the water.

The sockets get wired to standard AC power. I cut the end off an extension cord to use for the power so I'd have a nice plug on it. I just bought Radio Shack wire for the sockets...think it was 22 gauge?

No solder.

I used wirenuts originally. Switched to Wago lever-nuts for the latest build.
Where do you get your bulbs and sockets? I'm not seeing 3w with 30° lenses

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they don't list the angle, 30º is the default. 45º is the same as 30º for all intents.

Other lenses than 30º would be OK, but you'd get a different ideal mounting height. 60º lenses would require about a 6" mounting height, for example. 90º lenses give about the same spread radius as the mounting height, so you's want around 4" off the water.

I just shop ebay. ledhk and ac-rc used to be go-to vendors but I don't think either vendor carries them anymore.

I've bought most of mine from the lowest-price vendor I could find though. The only exception was the batch I got with mixed blue and white emitters. More than twice as expensive per bulb though. No need to start with these.

I would start with plain 6500K white bulbs and plain blue bulbs. You should be able to find those everywhere.

Some examples:
....ok....ebay is not working right now...no response from server after three attempts.....LOL

Try searching for "30º" as one of your search terms if you want to keep the 12" mounting height. It's not strictly neceassry, so if you want a different mounting height that's fine. :)

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This look right?

Screenshot_2017-02-05-15-06-40.png

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a current nova T5, 2bulb that is for a 10 gallon. I used it as a Refug light on and old setup. I don't use it anymore. I'd be willing to sell it cheap if it will accomplish what you are going for here. PM if interested.

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they don't list the angle, 30º is the default. 45º is the same as 30º for all intents.

Other lenses than 30º would be OK, but you'd get a different ideal mounting height. 60º lenses would require about a 6" mounting height, for example. 90º lenses give about the same spread radius as the mounting height, so you's want around 4" off the water.

I just shop ebay. ledhk and ac-rc used to be go-to vendors but I don't think either vendor carries them anymore.

I've bought most of mine from the lowest-price vendor I could find though. The only exception was the batch I got with mixed blue and white emitters. More than twice as expensive per bulb though. No need to start with these.

I would start with plain 6500K white bulbs and plain blue bulbs. You should be able to find those everywhere.

Some examples:
....ok....ebay is not working right now...no response from server after three attempts.....LOL

Try searching for "30º" as one of your search terms if you want to keep the 12" mounting height. It's not strictly neceassry, so if you want a different mounting height that's fine. :)
Is there a cheapcpntroller for sunrise through sunset you can recommend too?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not for those....this is a simple setup....on/off. :) It's theoretically possible, but I'd look at one of Current's Orbit Marine's if you wanna go that route. Any controller with that function is gonna cost you at least $50-$100.

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not for those....this is a simple setup....on/off. :) It's theoretically possible, but I'd look at one of Current's Orbit Marine's if you wanna go that route. Any controller with that function is gonna cost you at least $50-$100.
That's what I figured, thx I've got lights on the way and corals in a couple weeks.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back