ChemiClean Question?

Va_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not?

Oxygen levels can be lowered, not to mention all that dying cyano can in theory produce more nitrates.

Your skimmer may not work properly (overflow) for a long time after you dose if you don't change water and run carbon.

OP
OP
NanaReefer

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking tomorrow I'll hook up the reactor with some carbon in it.
As to why not to a WC? My tank needs all the nutrients it can get at this point. The Cyano red/green issue stems from a 4wk Vibrant treatment. A treatment I started because of a funky SB issue I've been battling for 2 plus years. I had hope it would help, it didn't.
I need to allow the beneficial bacteria to grow & get back to a healthy state.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you treat your tank with ChemiClean your going to be releasing allot of toxins and dead bacteria in your tank. I would, and everyone I know that's used it, do a wc. The directions state to complete a 20% wc after 48 hrs. You'll probably need to turn off your PS so you need to put an airstone or something in your system to keep your oxygen levels up. There's no need to keep in your tank what you've just tried to, or did, kill off;) The treatments are just a bandaid though, you need to figure out what caused it in the first place. I caused mine by over feeding:confused:

Ewilson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What caused it was the use of Vibrant. Seems to be a side effect of the product. I'm not alone on this issue. I leave my skimmer running without cup and use an air stone in front of my return intake. Plenty oxygenated.

With dosing vibrant in my experience is that there comes a cyano outbreak but continued dosing and it goes away

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should turn off the skimmer when treating the tank, but according to the instruction, after 24 or 48 hours, you need to do a 25-35% water change.....

From my painful experience, after water change, turn back the skimmer and skim wet........!

Osiel Alvarado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it gave me cyano also, but after chemi clean it was gone. i did the water change and ran carbon again. After 24hours I turned the skimmer back on and emptied it about 3 times. I just literally sat there and watched it till it filled the cup then emptied it. Took like 20 minutes then it will stop going crazy. I kept using the Vibrant to see if it brought the cyano back, but nothing yet.

OP
OP
NanaReefer

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet! Hows the rest of the sand?

Still plagued with brown stuff.
IMG_1352.JPG

IMG_1353.JPG

OP
OP
NanaReefer

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should turn off the skimmer when treating the tank, but according to the instruction, after 24 or 48 hours, you need to do a 25-35% water change.....

From my painful experience, after water change, turn back the skimmer and skim wet........!

I added carbon in a reactor to help remove the medicine. With 24hrs my skimmer was back to normal.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What caused it was the use of Vibrant. Seems to be a side effect of the product. I'm not alone on this issue. I leave my skimmer running without cup and use an air stone in front of my return intake. Plenty oxygenated.
Ditto.........no more vibrant for me. the small amount of hair algae is nothing compared to the cyano that exploded after using vibrant. Just my own experience, in no way am I saying it's bad stuff.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back