Chemists, and Chemistry Guru.

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a degree in biochemistry/chemistry, then worked for a dept of defense contractor for a year researching explosives for the military. now i'm working on my PhD in pharmacology, more specifically neuroscience (neurochemistry) which is my real passion.

also a member of the ACS and Alpha Chi Sigma, and taught freshman chemistry at the university level for 3 years as a GTA.

OP
OP
Dihydrogen Monoxide

Dihydrogen Monoxide

Deliquescent Reefkeeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't you head up a chemistry forum? I am sure there are plenty of posters whom would be willing to help out , myself included, with posts in some free time.

Just a thought ;) Like you don't have enough to do with PhD work.

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, just too busy. plus allot of my thoughts are more geared towards organic stuff now rather than inorganic.....and the reefing hobby seems to be dominated inorganic stuff....which isn't exactly my forte beyond the basics.

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i took chemistry!
thats about it though
chem 1,2; oragnic 1,2; environmental chemistry
but im no chemist
i have a friend working on his masters in chemistry and working with intel right now

OP
OP
Dihydrogen Monoxide

Dihydrogen Monoxide

Deliquescent Reefkeeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I have seen to many questions beyond the basics, Ksp, pH, Bonding, Stoich calc's, with recent additions in Vodka, Sugars, and Vinegar additions things have gotten quite heavy into the organic relm of Biochem.

Just a thought anyways, thought it could be a nice addition to the site!

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a little as well, I just don't remember any of it. In undergrad I was actually the only undergrad organic TA (I ran my own lab class). The rest of the TA's were phd students.

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple years of college chem, but that was many moons ago... I know enough to get myself into trouble! ;)

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmm, i think i may have had some biochem...but i guess if i cant even remember the classes thats not going to help much
he actually works with polymers, thats all he really told me

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, i feel really stupid when people ask me chem questions now. i mean, i haven't taught any of it since 2004, and haven't studied any of it since 2005/2006 when i was taking MCATs. regular gen chem, inorganic chem, and even basic organic chem is like a totally different thing than what i'm used to dealing with now.......they feel like completely different subjects that what i'm used to now in biochem, neurochem, pharmacology, and toxicology etc.

i feel like the only thing i could contribute to a chemistry forum is the absolute basics of pH, buffering, cycling, salts, 2-part dosing, kalk dosing etc. talking about certain products/supplements (not zeo or probio) vs generics (baking soda, dowflake etc).

toxicology of marine animals would be something my background is more geared to, even though i have absolutely no marine bio experience with LD/ED 50 of those type of toxins beyond what is in the literature.

Dejavu

SPS Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a B.S. chemistry and minor in biology. I'm also a state licesned class C wastewater operator. Many W.W. applcations have been used in our hobby.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 123 88.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back