Chloroquine phosphate dosing

Fenzinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three evansi Anthias that I picked up last night. They ate a little at LFS. They're held in a 20 long with pvc, air pump, and power head.

They didn't eat this morning when I put in a small amount of mysis but the mysis could've been eaten by now. Haven't been home yet.

My question is whether or not to wait until fish are eating to dose CP. does it effect mood or appetite in the fish? Thanks.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is whether or not to wait until fish are eating to dose CP. does it effect mood or appetite in the fish? Thanks.

It typically doesn't but every fish is a little different. I always dose @ 40mg/gal before the fish ever enters QT, and my success has been phenomenal. Just don't use CP on wrasses & Hippo Tangs.

OP
OP
F

Fenzinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It typically doesn't but every fish is a little different. I always dose @ 40mg/gal before the fish ever enters QT, and my success has been phenomenal. Just don't use CP on wrasses & Hippo Tangs.

Thanks. Now any advice on getting evansi' to come out of hiding? It's been 24 hours and they won't come out of the pvc or out from behind the heater. Ambient light only from window and tank lights.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Now any advice on getting evansi' to come out of hiding? It's been 24 hours and they won't come out of the pvc or out from behind the heater. Ambient light only from window and tank lights.

I think it's just gonna take time. It takes most fish longer than 24 hrs to get comfortable in a new environment.

OP
OP
F

Fenzinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's just gonna take time. It takes most fish longer than 24 hrs to get comfortable in a new environment.

Thank you for the response. This morning I fed a small mixture of frozen cyclo and maybe 6 frozen mysis. It was thawed in selcon and then a small amount, maybe 2mm on a tablespoon tip fed into the tank at 8am.

Lights were all off and only light from the window was lighting the room. I seemed to get interest in the food from two of the three. Not sure that they ate but definitely seemed to have some interest as they came out of hiding to slightly to look at what was floating around.

I seem to be heading in the right direction and I didn't see any of the mysis from the previous feeding.

Back to CP, will I have any issues with not having dosed prior to introduction? My plan is CP and possibly Prazi over the first 10 days and then Furan-2 whether I see issues or not. Possibly 20 day QT.

Thanks for your help so far.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to CP, will I have any issues with not having dosed prior to introduction? My plan is CP and possibly Prazi over the first 10 days and then Furan-2 whether I see issues or not. Possibly 20 day QT.

I would mix the CP powder in a cup until fully dissolved before adding to the QT.

I WOULD NOT mix Prazipro with CP due to the Oxybispropanol contained therein. The chances of a bacterial bloom (cloudy water) would be high. However, you can mix powder praziquantel with CP; API General Cure being the most readily available product.

I would also avoid dosing Furan-2 or other antibiotics unless you see signs of an active infection.

OP
OP
F

Fenzinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would mix the CP powder in a cup until fully dissolved before adding to the QT.

I WOULD NOT mix Prazipro with CP due to the Oxybispropanol contained therein. The chances of a bacterial bloom (cloudy water) would be high. However, you can mix powder praziquantel with CP; API General Cure being the most readily available product.

I would also avoid dosing Furan-2 or other antibiotics unless you see signs of an active infection.

Thank you for your assistance with this. I'm approaching my 10 day mark of CP dosing with 12 days total QT time. Fish are all responding to frozen cyclops feedings. Only one is still shy when I am around. The other two mind that I'm there but are tolerant of me. No signs of illness thus far.

My CP(which was ebay purchased -- I know), states that I should be dosing every 10 days. Is this necessary? If the concentration is pure enough, would 10 days of CP be enough for treatment and kill off any pests prophylacticly? I have done 1 50% water change over that time frame. Making sure to dose the water being exchanged with the appropriate amount of CP for the water that is being removed. Should I dose again or should I just move to monitoring the fish and then move to Prazi?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My CP(which was ebay purchased -- I know), states that I should be dosing every 10 days. Is this necessary? If the concentration is pure enough, would 10 days of CP be enough for treatment and kill off any pests prophylacticly? I have done 1 50% water change over that time frame. Making sure to dose the water being exchanged with the appropriate amount of CP for the water that is being removed. Should I dose again or should I just move to monitoring the fish and then move to Prazi?

99% pure Chloroquine is a "one & done" medication. You dose once @ 40mg/gal (or up to 60mg/gal is well tolerated by most fish). Either dosage is sufficient for 30 days worth of treatment. Telling you to dose more than once probably means the product is watered down and thus, reliability may be suspect.

But whatever you do, DO NOT MIX CP with Prazipro.

OP
OP
F

Fenzinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
99% pure Chloroquine is a "one & done" medication. You dose once @ 40mg/gal (or up to 60mg/gal is well tolerated by most fish). Either dosage is sufficient for 30 days worth of treatment. Telling you to dose more than once probably means the product is watered down and thus, reliability may be suspect.

But whatever you do, DO NOT MIX CP with Prazipro.

Just realized the label says dose once and treat for 10 days.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However, if you change water, you'll need another 40mgs./gal...for each new gallon taken out and refilled...right?:confused:

Yes, but be sure any replacement water is pre-treated with CP before being added to the QT. To ensure therapeutic levels are maintained at all times.

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but be sure any replacement water is pre-treated with CP before being added to the QT. To ensure therapeutic levels are maintained at all times.
Have 7 (was 8) green chromis and a Syngapore Angel and a lattice bf in approximately 40 mg/gal...chromis do not seem to be doing well...lost one, one shaky and hiding too much...the 2 bigger fish seem OK...all in about a week (20 gal.)...on second day, water was cloudy so I changed 2 gal. and added by mistake about 80 mg/gal for the replacement (too early in the morning)...then realizing...I took out about 2 gal. replacing it with plain water...a real screw up...like to get the bf and angel into my DT...they seem clean, but I know that would be compounding the problem...maybe I'm getting too old for this...what would you do from here...:(...at least one of the chromies looks quite ragged...more ichish...can you OD the CP?

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have 7 (was 8) green chromis and a Syngapore Angel and a lattice bf in approximately 40 mg/gal...chromis do not seem to be doing well...lost one, one shaky and hiding too much...the 2 bigger fish seem OK...all in about a week (20 gal.)...on second day, water was cloudy so I changed 2 gal. and added by mistake about 80 mg/gal for the replacement (too early in the morning)...then realizing...I took out about 2 gal. replacing it with plain water...a real screw up...like to get the bf and angel into my DT...they seem clean, but I know that would be compounding the problem...maybe I'm getting too old for this...what would you do from here...:(...at least one of the chromies looks quite ragged...more ichish...can you OD the CP?

I've had some issues (appetite suppression, lethargy) when treating fish @ 80mg/gal.

So, I've kept the dosage at 60 mg/gal with no problems.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMHO; chromis are often collected by using cyanide.

This article quotes a study where 13 of the 16 green chromis tested had been exposed to cyanide: https://www.hakaimagazine.com/article-short/fishing-cyanide

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had some issues (appetite suppression, lethargy) when treating fish @ 80mg/gal.

So, I've kept the dosage at 60 mg/gal with no problems.
Lost 3 chromies...they spin around and eventually die...one I euthanized...hate to lose them...but really concerned that the angel and bf are OK...so far so good with them...no idea how much cp is in there now...what should I do at this point?...just leave it alone?...advise?...thanks...

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost 3 chromies...they spin around and eventually die...one I euthanized...hate to lose them...but really concerned that the angel and bf are OK...so far so good with them...no idea how much cp is in there now...what should I do at this point?...just leave it alone?...advise?...thanks...

I would do a large WC + run carbon to take all the CP out of the water. See if that improves the chromis condition.

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a large WC + run carbon to take all the CP out of the water. See if that improves the chromis condition.
What about the angel and bf...the bf came on order from Segress Farms...would they have done adequate QT to put him in DT...the angel was at M & F Reef for a couple of weeks before I got him...would you risk it...or not...?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the angel and bf...the bf came on order from Segress Farms...would they have done adequate QT to put him in DT...the angel was at M & F Reef for a couple of weeks before I got him...would you risk it...or not...?

I wouldn't, not while chromis keep dying.

If the angel & BF are doing well in QT, you could transfer all the chromis into a non-medicated HT instead.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back