Chloroquine phosphate

familiar1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had similar success running various anthias thru CP. So has a LFS I advise. However, enough "mystery deaths" have cropped up on this forum to give me pause. I won't feel comfortable recommending using CP on anthias again until after I've successfully run several batches of them thru it. Don't want the fish (or peoples' hard earned money) being laid to waste due to erroneous information.

I abandoned CP treatment and placed all of the anthias into a 10gal and will be transitioning to TTM. I figured going into TTM from CP makes a lot of sense to not start treatment over. I have had them in CP for a little over a week so if the Trophont (attached to fish) stage lasts 3-7 days and the CP is effectively killing all Theronts (free swimmers) then the fish should currently be fully ich free. I will continue TTM for a couple transfers 3 days apart to be on the safe side.

All but one anthias are eating well 1 day after being transferred out of tank treated with CP and look better, with more energy. Prior to dosing the tank with CP these same anthias were eating very well and looked healthy so I must assume that the CP was the cause for their slight lethargy and not eating. I was dosing ammo lock with the CP so it is a possibility that the combination was the cause of the result as well.

I originally treated for ick because one fish was showing ick and not eating while others were doing fine. This same fish is still not eating, looks very weak and skinny (hasn't eaten in about 3 weeks). I think I am running out of time with this fish. I think it may have flukes at this point possibly? I was considering doing a freshwater bath tomorrow prior to next transfer. He also has a white fleshy bump on head right above his eye and a little back that developed over the last day, not sure what it is or if it was caused by other anthias. If anyone has any suggestions what this is or what the best option for treating it or getting the fish eating, let me know.

Screen Shot 2016-12-10 at 2.29.38 PM.png

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I abandoned CP treatment and placed all of the anthias into a 10gal and will be transitioning to TTM. I figured going into TTM from CP makes a lot of sense to not start treatment over. I have had them in CP for a little over a week so if the Trophont (attached to fish) stage lasts 3-7 days and the CP is effectively killing all Theronts (free swimmers) then the fish should currently be fully ich free. I will continue TTM for a couple transfers 3 days apart to be on the safe side.

All but one anthias are eating well 1 day after being transferred out of tank treated with CP and look better, with more energy. Prior to dosing the tank with CP these same anthias were eating very well and looked healthy so I must assume that the CP was the cause for their slight lethargy and not eating. I was dosing ammo lock with the CP so it is a possibility that the combination was the cause of the result as well.

I originally treated for ick because one fish was showing ick and not eating while others were doing fine. This same fish is still not eating, looks very weak and skinny (hasn't eaten in about 3 weeks). I think I am running out of time with this fish. I think it may have flukes at this point possibly? I was considering doing a freshwater bath tomorrow prior to next transfer. He also has a white fleshy bump on head right above his eye and a little back that developed over the last day, not sure what it is or if it was caused by other anthias. If anyone has any suggestions what this is or what the best option for treating it or getting the fish eating, let me know.

Screen Shot 2016-12-10 at 2.29.38 PM.png

He's pretty skinny., and 3 weeks is a very long time not to eat. I'd say you could do the FW dip to confirm/rule out flukes before treating and further suppressing his appetite. If they show, then treat.... but your priority needs to be getting him eating. I see a bump on his head, but that's not something that I'm worried about. Food! I forget what all you've tried, but it's time to break out the big guns. Live foods, black worms, white worms, brine even, garlic..... try anything and everything until he eats even one piece then keep going with that one until he starts eating more. Then you can try adding other things to his diet. Be sure to add vitamins to everything you feed him since he will need every single advantage each bite can give him.

Outdrsyguy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@familiar1985 I've gotten several batches of those lyretail anthias and there's always one or two with a bacterial infection. If that spot starts to spread you have to act fast. I agree with live foods. Get some baby brine in there asap.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish You said 1 gram of CP treats 25 gallons? At what target dose? If I'm using the 15mg/l formula from the advanced aquarist article 15mg * 25gallons/ 266 gives you roughly 1.4 grams?

I typically only dose 10mg/l for therapeutic purposes.

15mg/l if the fish has active signs of ich, velvet, etc.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of us in search of CP from a vet, the following website will help identify aqautic vets in your area. http://www.aquavetmed.info. I was surprised to see 14 DVMs listed in CT. I have reached out to one that is closest to me. Fingers crossed

Will add this info to the sticky. Thanks!

Sweeper13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello to all..

I contacted Diamond Back Drugs requesting price on CP, and this is what they sent back to me.

Please consult with your veterinarian and provide us with a drug strength and quantity so that we may accurately quote you.

Does anyone know what the drug strength would be? I didn't find it or I missed it going thru the topic.

Quantity, looks like 30 grams is the norm?

Thanks for all the helpful info that is provide on this topic.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello to all..

I contacted Diamond Back Drugs requesting price on CP, and this is what they sent back to me.

Please consult with your veterinarian and provide us with a drug strength and quantity so that we may accurately quote you.

Does anyone know what the drug strength would be? I didn't find it or I missed it going thru the topic.

Quantity, looks like 30 grams is the norm?

Thanks for all the helpful info that is provide on this topic.

99% pure powder at a dosage of 40mg/gal.

30 grams would treat a 25 gat QT 30x. CP has a shelf life of 3 years.

HTH

Sweeper13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info Humble.

Just got off the phone with them , operater was very friendly and knew what I was using it for. He checked on where CP was coming from and pureness : China and 100.4% pure.

60g for $35.99 plus 8$ shipping.

Last edited:

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I would update here, on a recent QT run I had the following pull through unscathed dosing at 60 mg/gal:
  • Pseudanthias bimaculatus (QTY 6)
  • Pseudanthias squamipinnis (QTY 3)
  • Serranocirrhitus latus (QTY 4)
  • Cirrhilabrus exquisitus (QTY 1)
  • Paracheilinus carpenteri (QTY 1)
  • Cirrhilabrus solorensis (QTY 1)
  • Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura (QTY 1)

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I would update here, on a recent QT run I had the following pull through unscathed dosing at 60 mg/gal:
  • Pseudanthias bimaculatus (QTY 6)
  • Pseudanthias squamipinnis (QTY 3)
  • Serranocirrhitus latus (QTY 4)
  • Cirrhilabrus exquisitus (QTY 1)
  • Paracheilinus carpenteri (QTY 1)
  • Cirrhilabrus solorensis (QTY 1)
  • Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura (QTY 1)

Thanks for this. It's so difficult to understand why some use CP on anthias & wrasses just fine, while others wither away & die after 1 week. :confused:

How long did you treat for?

lthary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For next quote I will go for 100g to see how much is[emoji6]

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this. It's so difficult to understand why some use CP on anthias & wrasses just fine, while others wither away & die after 1 week. :confused:

How long did you treat for?
Yes, very frustrating. This batch of CP (100g via DD) has seemed milder than the previous (same source), but too many factors in play there to say more.

30-day treatment for all the above.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, very frustrating. This batch of CP (100g via DD) has seemed milder than the previous (same source), but too many factors in play there to say more.

30-day treatment for all the above.

Back to the drawing board with CP and anthias/wrasses, my friend. o_O Thank you for posting this.

Back