evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cirrhilabrus Complexes: Inferiority Need Not Apply

1.jpg

This article is obsolete. It has been replaced by the 1st revision.

Cirrhilabrus, the “Fairy Wrasses”, are one of the most elegant, active, and colorful reef fish. Their appeal in a reef tank is common to many, but not all have a well-rounded understanding of the compatibility amongst them. Enter the notion of “complexes”: groupings of very closely related species within a genus.

Complexes create groups in which the species have a physically similar structure; the body shape, fin shapes/sizes, and maximum length create these groupings. Coloration is not necessarily a commonality within a group (but patterns are, to a moderate degree). From a genetic viewpoint, it is quite likely each complex originated from a common ancestor or perhaps from one species still within the complex.

Scientifically, complexes do not really exist. They are a notion created amongst hobbyists to aid in selecting more compatible species. Complexes have large implications on levels of aggression and compatibility amongst other complexes. For the most part, the level of aggression within a complex is similar for all those species it contains (of course, there are always exceptions).

The chart below presents complexes within the Cirrhilabrus genus. As mentioned, these groupings are not exactly scientific, and some placements could be debated. The intent of the chart is to be functional rather than purely scientific. The number of complexes is unimportant. Rather, what is important is the relationships amongst the various Cirrhilabrus species for the hobbyist seeking to make these beauties a part of their reefs.

The complexes are named simply by one of the popular or common species from each complex. The relationships between the complexes are represented in one of three ways: by adjacent boxes (very strong), by solid lines (strong), and lastly by dotted lines (weak). Also, the shading of the box represents the general level of aggression of the complex relative to the others. Red boxes have the highest levels of aggression, while green have the lowest.

When seeking to mix two or more species within the same tank, the chart should be used in the following manner. The further away two complexes are the more likely the odds of compatibility will be. Additionally, the odds of success also improve for similar levels of relative aggression between two complexes. The extension of these two statements can be applied to mixing various species within a complex as well; the higher the aggression levels the less likely this will be successful. Those complexes of the lower aggression levels can generally be mixed amongst themselves with relative ease. [One caveat here: those two complexes in red (Filamentosus and Scottorum) should not be mixed with any other complexes or amongst themselves unless the system is extremely large, say over 400 gallons.] For example, mixing an Exquisite, Lineatus, and Hooded is rather safe. However, mixing a Conde, Rubriventralis, and Adorned would be problematic at best.

With a bit of luck and knowledge, this chart can prevent needless frustration and incompatible additions the next you find yourself in your local fish store searching for your next, or first, Wrasse addition. Happy Reefing!

Update.png

If you love wrasse check out the Wrasse Lovers Thread.

For more information on all other types of fish check out our fish discussion forum here.

Featured image courtesy of Eric Zard (zibba).

Last edited:

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Informative article that will be very helpful to wrasse addicts or those who want to just add a small grouping of wrasse. The chart is a fantastic resource.

Nick James

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel dumb for asking but I just want to make sure I am understanding the chart correctly. If there are no lines connecting complexes which contain fish I would like to have cohabitate, there is a better chance of them mixing if their aggression level is the same? I am assuming green and green will be a go in nearly all cases. Yellows with no lines connecting them?

Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel dumb for asking but I just want to make sure I am understanding the chart correctly. If there are no lines connecting complexes which contain fish I would like to have cohabitate, there is a better chance of them mixing if their aggression level is the same? I am assuming green and green will be a go in nearly all cases. Yellows with no lines connecting them?

Thanks in advance.
Yup, that's the correct understanding. Yellows with no lines will likely be okay. Red with or without lines is a bad idea. :)

patrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is confusing lol.
I'm looking to add a rhomboid
I have a Roseafascia and a Pintail(isosceles)
What do you think safe or risky?

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is wonderful information and your hard work in creating it is much appreciated. Thank you.
Thank you kindly!
This is confusing lol.
I'm looking to add a rhomboid
I have a Roseafascia and a Pintail(isosceles)
What do you think safe or risky?
The chart might be out of context without the article text; make sure you read it too.
Roseafascia can make everything risky, so maybe.

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolved

Any thoughts on where the new "Blue Throat Sailfin Fairy" wrasse (Cirrhilabrus sp.) fits in the complex chart? I have a stocking plan in mind, but I love the look of this guy, so I was trying to figure out what my other options for fairies would be.

bluethroatfairy.JPG

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolved

Any thoughts on where the new "Blue Throat Sailfin Fairy" wrasse (Cirrhilabrus sp.) fits in the complex chart? I have a stocking plan in mind, but I love the look of this guy, so I was trying to figure out what my other options for fairies would be.

bluethroatfairy.JPG
Filamentosus. It's TBD if it's unique species yet or a regional variant of tonozukai.

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filamentosus. It's TBD if it's unique species yet or a regional variant of tonozukai.

Well there goes that idea :( Was hoping for a less aggressive category. Oh well - thats what reference charts are for! Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your link at the top of post 1 is broken
That's a tapatalk issue; it's a good link.
Well there goes that idea :( Was hoping for a less aggressive category. Oh well - thats what reference charts are for! Thanks for the info.
Sorry. :( You're welcome!

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell you how many times I've consulted that chart. Truly, an invaluable resource.

(You're going to have to update one of these years ... they keep finding new species!)

~Bruce

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I downloaded this chart on my phone and put a shortcut to in on my home screen. It's awesome! I would love a similar chart for Paracheilinus but I guess they might have different dynamics so a chart might not be as useful.

For the temminckii complex(es?)... Is it one group that has 2 different aggression levels? Or 2 separate ones? Like are cyanopleuria and balteus as closely related as cyanopleuria and punctatus (for example)?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I downloaded this chart on my phone and put a shortcut to in on my home screen. It's awesome! I would love a similar chart for Paracheilinus but I guess they might have different dynamics so a chart might not be as useful.

For the temminckii complex(es?)... Is it one group that has 2 different aggression levels? Or 2 separate ones? Like are cyanopleuria and balteus as closely related as cyanopleuria and punctatus (for example)?
The 2 temminkii groups are more closely related to each other than to cyanopleura.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So they are separate groups? I wasn't sure if they were just split based on aggression or if they were actually seperate.
They are both within the temminkii complex or clade, but ggeneticaly tee-off within the clade.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your experience, how heavily does gender factor in when mixing? For example, say I have a male "green" and two female "yellow" species, would you agree that adding another "green" more timid species will be less likely to be an issue if it's done before the "yellow" transition male? And would it be better if the new addition is female as well, or male?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 60 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back