Clean up crew

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the voracious appetite that the scarlet hermit crabs have, they eat a couple types of algae ... as well as the emerald crabs appetite for bubble algae....

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am doing a mostly zoa tank and before i knew any better i added tons of hermit crabs and i wish i didnt. I also had a few giant turbo snails. I dont have the answer for you but i can offer my advice on what not to do. I wouldnt put either of those in the tank. The hermit crabs like to climb all over the zoas which constantly closes them up and irritates them. Once your tank has enough coraline algae built up on the glass that will allow the crabs to climb up on the glass and also reach your zoas on frag racks. The turbo snails are literally bull dozers. If your plugs are not glued to rock work they will knock them off. And if you have zoas on a frag rack they will do the same thing. Urchins are the same as turbo snails. Some urchins anything they touch sticks to them. The school reef tank i work on has a urchin and often times we will see full plugs of zoas stuck to it! They wont get rid of the urchin because the kids love it!

I just read an article a few weeks ago about how you can have the ultimate clean up crew with zero hermit crabs but with all snails. I wish i could find it again. May have been a recent reef threads pod cast actually.

OP
OP
gonewild34

gonewild34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so torn on what to have or the clean up crew I had turbos in my 75 and k ocked everything over I just need something to keep the sand clean

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so torn on what to have or the clean up crew I had turbos in my 75 and k ocked everything over I just need something to keep the sand clean

Yeah, on my next build im going to try to make it all snails with the exception of large ones. A combination of ones that will sift sand, get rock work clean, as well as glass.

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cerith snails for all around cleaner for sand and rock / glass work.
Banded Tiger Trochus snail for hair / film /cyano (these guys dont stop)
Emerald crabs for bubble and other algaes ...and thats all,,,plus good husbandry of course matters most...

Im also a zoa and paly obsessed person too.

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back