Cleanest way to add 2 T5s to Radions

Chris155hp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to convince my buddy to add two blue plus to his 3 gen 4 radions to help get better colors on his sps. He's getting decent colors now but I KNOW he would have insane colors with two T5 to fill in the spectrum gaps where leds fall short. He is hanging his radions with the ecotech rail/cable unit. His setup is ultra clean looking and won't do it bc he feels it can't be done without looking like crap. I'm out to prove him wrong. Help me!

IMG_0819.JPG

irish02bk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same wanting to do this to my setup but don't think it will look clean enough on a rimless tank with no canopy

AK_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing the EXACT same thing right now, my stand is 6" wide horizontal strips of 4/4 Walnut so my plan is to make a hood out of a 8-10" wide piece of walnut and either hang it from the ceiling or do a "floating hood". I'm going to use the RMS rail inside of the hood so i can still slide the radions around, I'm not 100% sure how i'm going to mount the T5's yet but I don't think it should be much of an issue. I'm planning on leaving the top of the "hood'' completely open so it'll really just be a band of wood at eye height covering the lights/wiring, not a true hood. If you google image "floating hood" there's a lot of really cool examples

OP
OP
Chris155hp

Chris155hp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing the EXACT same thing right now, my stand is 6" wide horizontal strips of 4/4 Walnut so my plan is to make a hood out of a 8-10" wide piece of walnut and either hang it from the ceiling or do a "floating hood". I'm going to use the RMS rail inside of the hood so i can still slide the radions around, I'm not 100% sure how i'm going to mount the T5's yet but I don't think it should be much of an issue. I'm planning on leaving the top of the "hood'' completely open so it'll really just be a band of wood at eye height covering the lights/wiring, not a true hood. If you google image "floating hood" there's a lot of really cool examples

Post a picture up when your done!

AK_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a picture up when your done!

I ended up having dave at nanoreef build me a 60" ati/nanobox led hybrid. It was pretty affordable and should work well , I'll end up with 6 t5 bulbs and 8 led clusters in the fixture.

ncaldwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170129_162402.jpg
20170129_162410.jpg

I still have to add the t5 retrofit but the lights are on RMS kit mounts so they can all swivel 90 degrees

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With your lights that high up you might want to add four - and if needed go down on your radions. Thats a good distance for T5s.

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get 3" or 4" aluminum channel to mount them in and polish the inside of the channel to be the reflector. That would compliment a modern-look rail system nicely.

Back