Closed Loop 500g

Salty Dog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People Im building my 500g reef tank after a 3yr delay. I currently have a 250g that will stay up till new tank is cycled. I don't want to mess around anymore with ugly power heads. Been there done that. My question is its totally new to me and Im in need of sizing the pumps up for this tank. Tank is 60x48x33 acrylic. Im thinking dual Reeflo Snappers with dual Ocean Motion 8 way ports. Anyone with help please jump in. thanks Bill

JPG@CFI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bill, Sounds like a good plan. Just know going in that your tank is only as good as it's weakest link. Only use sch 80 bulkheads, and right after the bulkheads use a sch 80 true union ball valve. This way you can shut off each port if there is a problem down stream. Use True union ball valves on the in and out of each pump. Is this going to have a remote filter? It may get crowded under the stand if your not a professional plumber. I wish you the best of luck with the Ocean Motions. For me they have been real problematic. I have installed about a dozen of them, and it seems that a grain of sand will hang them up. I hope they have loosened them up some. Cool product though. I use the omni flex nozzles all the time. Let's see some pictures, Bill!

OP
OP
Salty Dog

Salty Dog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bill, Sounds like a good plan. Just know going in that your tank is only as good as it's weakest link. Only use sch 80 bulkheads, and right after the bulkheads use a sch 80 true union ball valve. This way you can shut off each port if there is a problem down stream. Use True union ball valves on the in and out of each pump. Is this going to have a remote filter? It may get crowded under the stand if your not a professional plumber. I wish you the best of luck with the Ocean Motions. For me they have been real problematic. I have installed about a dozen of them, and it seems that a grain of sand will hang them up. I hope they have loosened them up some. Cool product though. I use the omni flex nozzles all the time. Let's see some pictures, Bill!

lets chat, Pm me . thanks Bill

OP
OP
Salty Dog

Salty Dog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uploadfromtaptalk1361482008987.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1361482008987.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
Salty Dog

Salty Dog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blocking the new walls .

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361482435341.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361482435341.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 1,375
OP
OP
Salty Dog

Salty Dog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a lot more to come. But lets get back to the subject, I need help with a closed loop system

Tony_D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a system that size I wouldn't use the Oceans Motions, I would put each pump on a timer system using your controller, IE: run one side for 30-45 minutes, then have the other side run 30-45 minutes with an oscillating schedule with 5-10 minutes of overlap time in each event. Also rather than drilling 6-8 returns for each closed loop, I would have two 2" feeds and one 2" return and utilize a manifold inside the tank.

Tony_D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably go for darts or dart golds. Snappers might be a little on the small side.

I am using a single dart on my 36" cube.

sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk2!

OP
OP
Salty Dog

Salty Dog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great I was thinking the dart gold also. I wasn't sure on the Ocean Motions either and heard the have a lot of issues. i will do dual darts on mechanical timers

Tony_D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use manifolds for each CL in the tank you can put outlets how ever you want, and I am a fan of flow accelerators... just make sure that your manifold make a complete loop inside the tank so you get equal flow at each outlet.

OP
OP
Salty Dog

Salty Dog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Tony. I will start on this next week and take pictures. Im contacting Reeflo to see if i can put a VFD on there pumps

OP
OP
Salty Dog

Salty Dog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im building a new wet room that will attach to my old smaller wet room (12X13) is the old room and 16x14 is the new room all to be connected for one large wet room. That's why I put the photos in.

Matt888

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered using seaswirls? Seaswirls with penductors? You can have ball valves and pressure couplings to each seaswirl unit in the event they ever need to be taken offline (though they are VERY reliable). Lots of random flow, no power heads to clean ever. I just setup my 210g display/75g sump with 4 of them going through an Iwaki 70 pump. Obviously your setup would be on a larger scale...

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back