Cloudy water

FishGuyBri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crap...ammonia badge has been lying! Ammonia was over 2 ppm....did a water change and added prime!

Makes me wonder. I tested ammonia on a cycling QT which was 2.0 on two different tests while my seachem badge said 0. I wonder if it's a bad batch? Bought mine on amazon..

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here's a big round for everyone. I'm testing my dt and will post results....gha has disapeared to almost extinct...awesome!
Ph 8.1
Ammonia 0
Trite 0
Alk 8.1
Cal 480
MG 1600
P04 .01 not quite at .03 on salifert test...don't really like the test since it sucks reading the color....
Qt
the wrasse did not make it due to an ammonia spike...was really ticked....ammonia badge read 0 but after finding her dead I checked the water and was above 2 ppm....was not happy with that. Both clowns survived...added prime after a quick water change....coral are somehow doing ok in the qt tank...I have some hair algae growing in the qt which I'm not to fond of having but I know once they go into the dt they will be fine and currently working on bring the nutrients down.
Qt 2
I have my Lightning Maroons and my royal gramma in copper which all are about ready to be done with it...then it's a prazi and kanaplex treatment. Then done with those fish.

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys, let me tell you...it's been one heck of a day...decided to sheet rock the entire wall where the tank sits by....so I had to completely move tank..55 gallon...so drained 10 gallons out, amd me and a buddy slowly worked the tank into the dining room...one heck of a task....then had to tear down the old wall which is old school lathe amd plaster....one heck of a time on that too. Then had to cut sheetrock, moved an outlet over about 4 or 5 feet to get out from under the tank. So then had to cut that out of the sheetrock, then cut insulation to fit the studs, took some time then installed the new sheetrock. What do you guys reccomend for sealing the sheetrock? Waterproof? Moisture? Please give me ideas on what to use and I'll let you know the next few days how the tank handled the move.

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1d01e3d6f53b2a1a01016dceba795216.jpg

Shane's

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one has ideas for sealing the sheetrock?

Sorry mate. I'm not sure what Sheetrock is. If it's what I think it is In the U.K. we have plasterboard which we then skim over with a gypsum finishing plaster which when dry we can seal/paint it.
What exactly do you need to seal if from?

Shane's

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here's a big round for everyone. I'm testing my dt and will post results....gha has disapeared to almost extinct...awesome!
Ph 8.1
Ammonia 0
Trite 0
Alk 8.1
Cal 480
MG 1600
P04 .01 not quite at .03 on salifert test...don't really like the test since it sucks reading the color....
Qt
the wrasse did not make it due to an ammonia spike...was really ******....ammonia badge read 0 but after finding her dead I checked the water and was above 2 ppm....was not happy with that. Both clowns survived...added prime after a quick water change....coral are somehow doing ok in the qt tank...I have some hair algae growing in the qt which I'm not to fond of having but I know once they go into the dt they will be fine and currently working on bring the nutrients down.
Qt 2
I have my Lightning Maroons and my royal gramma in copper which all are about ready to be done with it...then it's a prazi and kanaplex treatment. Then done with those fish.

My po4 was 3, nitrate 100. Everything is thriving. I've started going extra water changes and the finger leathered coral has got the hump.

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so my two original clowns are in the dt now. Doing great, my cleaner shrimp are in as well...everything looks amazing! Corals growing, corals color are amazing, have a lot of frags. My two Lightning Maroons are now in the other qt for prazi which has been administered two days ago and is completed. Now just waiting for 6 days to do another round and my salt to get here to do a water change. And then they are going for a round of kanaplex.

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put a ceramic pot in the dt. My clowns started hosting it within 3 hours. I watched them clean it off as well...not much but some pecking, swishing their tails...it's an experience worth watching!

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a powder brown tang, he is in copper right now. Same with a smaller Lightning maroon I traded my bigger one for...

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so powder brown tang didn't make it, not sure yet what happened. After consulting with melypr and humble it's possible it was an internal infection....both Lightning Maroons are in qt with copper. I picked up a leopard wrasse and is in another qt for observation with a green mandarin.

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is doing great! I switched to aqua forest product line amd I don't think I could be happier. Ever since I started my skimmer has stopped creating micro bubbles in the tank, even when I feed or do a water change...I'm impressed. Everything is doing great and my coral and growing like weeds..

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crap...ammonia badge has been lying! Ammonia was over 2 ppm....did a water change and added prime!
ammonia test like the api read total ammonia. The ammonia dot reads the dangerous free ammonia.

Check with the seachem ammonia multitest kit as a second opinion.

Never Never add Prime when free ammonia is unmeasureable but you test ammonia with "standard" test kits.

what happens is:

1) Prime can't lock up ammonia as the free is already locked up.
2) Prime also locks up oxygen.

So it is possible to suffocate any livestock present.

But it looks like you got the ammonia down which is a good thing. What probably happened is algae in the system consumed the ammonia directly.

my .02

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@melypr1985 I'm surprised ice only went through 2 leopards and the first one didn't make it due to ammonia... both of them would have made it if it weren't for an incorrect ammonia badge...i feel somewhat accomplished to have kept and qted a leopard... [emoji4]

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back