clove polyps

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always loved them and I think I'm ready to try them once again. But my experience with them in the past has been frags melting on me within few days of being introduced into the tank. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to keep them succesfully?

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got some from er1c and theyre growing like crazy
i have some random frags with cloves just growing on them
grow like weeds!
really nice looking weeds but weeds none the less
oh and theyre the orange tipped kinds :D
should i include osme of them in our trade?

OP
OP
Kigs!

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
weird, that's who i was going to get the cloves from :D yea bro! definitely add those please

any tips on how to not let them melt on me? lol

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have mine under low/med flow on the side
one clump is under lr and growing covering that now and another clump just on the bare bottom, and thats growing on the acrylic
ive done really nothing special for them, just tossed them in and theyre growing
i AM having a little difficulty with snowflake anthelia though
i had a large colony and it seems like a lot have melted but looks to be coming back
no clue whats happening there
also under same lighting as everything else, 250w de 14k ushio
probably better to get some from eric though since hes more local than i

OP
OP
Kigs!

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uh yea its 4am. i'm allowed to be stupid ok mike? so stop judging me

Blue Water

Greenhorn Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mixed results with cloves.
But I've started adding DT's phytoplankton, and haven't had any losses since.
Wish I had done this sooner.

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got a nice clump of the awesome green centered ones about 2 1/2 years ago, and they never really grew for the most part.

every now and then, i'd see a quick growth spurt of a runner and a couple polyps form whenever i did something to the tank, like added carbon, added a skimmer, added a new light.......usually something major that changed the nature of the tank.

but other than that, they would mostly just accumulate a rough/hard, maybe coraline algae on them to the point the bases were very brittle.

i believe i finally lost them this past spring, and just ended up giving them to someone to see if they could revive what little polyps were left.

i would love to try my hand at them again, they are really cool. but i've heard mixed reports on how to keep them. i've always gone under the assumption of low light, low/med flow. but just recently the LFS i got them from, told me theirs are thriving under high light, high flow.

......so really, i have no clue. this is the only coral that i've kept that has me completely stumped.

green%20clove%20polyps.jpg

OP
OP
Kigs!

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Al, I feel you man...they really are a mystery to me. After my 3rd frag melting on me, I just gave up. Though, pulsing pom pom xenia never does too well in my tank. Could it be a related issue?

Blue water, could you share your parameters? I didn't realize clove polyps would flourish with DT supplements.

jules11vb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia don't do well in my tank either, but I've recently gotten some blue clove polyps that are doing fine. They are starting to spread after less than a month. I also add DT's Phytoplankton.

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had more or less the same luck but did find after trying them in several different tanks with different lighting that the ones I have do not like lots of light. I have a colony for you if you’re interested I will make you a good deal. Let me know and I’ll get you some pics. I also found if you take one polyp and glue it to something on its side it will start making runners in a week or two and in about two months will be about ten to twelve polyps. I have the Green ones

coraldiva

LED
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Al, I feel you man...they really are a mystery to me. After my 3rd frag melting on me, I just gave up. Though, pulsing pom pom xenia never does too well in my tank. Could it be a related issue?

Blue water, could you share your parameters? I didn't realize clove polyps would flourish with DT supplements.

I have problems with xenia too. Sometimes the xenia in my tank takes off like a forest fire and then one day it completely melts. It's happened about 6 times in four years. :squigglemouth:

Now clove polyps grow like a weed for me. I have them all over my tank. They are kept in medium flow, 18-20" below my 250 14k metal halide. The tips of the cloves curl up when the water gets a little too salty.

gclove.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back