Clownfish disease?

Bethanbc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I have two clownfish that started to develope what appeared too be injuries on the side of their faces. It has now spread- especially too the smaller male. And the larger female has a large patch on the top of one side of her face. The initial disease/injury on their faces has cleared. I did try some melafix treatment but it hasn't done much. It has been going on slowly for 2 weeks. They are very active, and feeding absolutely fine. The cardinal I have has shown no sign of disease. The levels have been the following for a while now.
Ph -8
Ammonium -0
Nitrate-0
Nitrite-0
Phos -0-0.25
Calcium and mg and Kh in desired levels. Any help would very much be appreciated on what it is or what I should do.

IMG_3449.jpg

IMG_3451.jpg

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metronidazole is unfortunately not reef safe, and is in both medications. You would want to move fish to a QT tank and treat separately of your coral.

OP
OP
B

Bethanbc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure I would have the capacity for a QT. I do have a spare heater and filter that would be ok in 5-10 liter tank? Would that work?

How long would it be for? And would I need to treat the Cardinal as well?

OP
OP
B

Bethanbc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah thought it might... I’m not sure I have the capacity for a QT. I do however have a spare filter and heater that would be ok in 5-10 liters. Would that work?

How long would it be needed for? And would the Cardinal need dosing too?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure I would have the capacity for a QT. I do have a spare heater and filter that would be ok in 5-10 liter tank? Would that work?

How long would it be for? And would I need to treat the Cardinal as well?

The problem with a tank that small is stress on the fish, and ammonia control.

You could setup your heater/filter on a Rubbermaid tote. You will want a powerhead wherever you medicate to aerate the water well. It's very important when treating with meds. The flow from the powerhead needs to break the surface, for oxygen exchange.

You will also want seeded media (biofilter) in the filter to make sure you don't have ammonia problems. You can seed it with some bacteria in a bottle if need be as well, like Dr Tims or Biospiria.

I also recommend a seachem ammonia alert badge as well. If using a tote just lay it in the bottom where you can see it.

All fish will need treated. Infected Tank will also need to be fallow (fishless) for 6 weeks so fish don't get re-infected when you put them back.

So they need a home for 6 weeks to answer your question

OP
OP
B

Bethanbc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think that would work... roughly how long would they need this, and would my Cardinal (no signs of the disease) need treating as well?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think that would work... roughly how long would they need this, and would my Cardinal (no signs of the disease) need treating as well?
Yes. All fish in the tank infected need treated. Keep in mind, Brook is called clownfish disease because it's most commonly seen in clowns. Any fish in the infected tank can host without showing symptoms. That is why you treat all fish, and allow the infected tank to be fallow so the parasites starve without a fish to host.

It can afflict any fish.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back