Clownfish getting ready to spawn or too early?

Jjonesiii100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I am new to the forum, and I have a question about my pair of Percula clowns. I bought both of them together in April of last year, when they were juveniles. I'm assuming this puts them around 1 year old?

My female clown is doing some odd behavior she never usually does. I feel like she is looking for a spot to lay eggs. I have read that clowns like to lay eggs on vertical, flat surfaces. Well I have this vertical rock right in the middle of my 120 gallon 5' tank. She has rarely, if ever, gone over to that area. She and her mate always stay on the far left end...always. The past week or so, she has been swimming to this vertical rock and literally just floating there and eyeballing it all around for 15+ minutes and does this frequently throughout the day (ever half hour or so) It's so odd. She just floats right in front of it and looks at it.

I'm sorry if I am beating a dead horse with this clownfish breeding, but I just want to know if this particular behavior could mean she is thinking about laying eggs on that rock? At what age can clownfish start breeding? Is 1 year too soon?

TroutbumNV

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably still too young. About halfway there in my experience.
Doesnt sound like egg laying behavior. Before they get ready theyll actually fan the area really well, and do their "dance" over it. Its typical with juvis to pretty much do the full routine (just without results) when they start getting closer.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a nem in Your tank ?sounds like Your clown is hosting the rock ..!

OP
OP
Jjonesiii100

Jjonesiii100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added an anemone about 2 weeks ago. They aren't hosting it though.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok they Will eventually , you can try putting a picture of a clown in an anamone on the tank so they can see it ... it worked for me!!!

Weichenthalc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so question here, both my clowns have the ovipositor down but not all the way... just sort of peeking out. what do you all make of this? here are some pics I know its hard to tell but the pics don't really do it justice the males is down further than the females too and the female is bigger in the stomach but not HUGE.. give
20180128_171815.jpg
20180128_160452.jpg
me your thoughts thanks!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what they look like when they are cleaning a nest.

Then they spawn.

Weichenthalc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that, but just trying to figure out why the ovipositor is playing hide and seek if you may

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No Idea. :rolleyes:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 14.3%
Back