Clownfish Sinking

Tatertot01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last night my clownfish started acting weird, but I went to bed thinking that he'd be fine in the morning. This morning I woke up to see him laying on the floor of my tank. I tried to gently lift him with the net, but he started swimming away. I watched him swim for a bit and noticed that whenever he stopped pedaling his fins he would start sinking immediately. He ended up getting tired and layed on the floor again. This is all out of the blue. The only new things in the tank are some xenia, a couple snails, and a peppermint shrimp. They were added on Saturday, and the only thing that seems to be acting weird is the peppermint shrimp- I can't find it anywhere. Could this be his doing? The place where I got them is really good with quarantining and dipping, so it shouldn't be a parasite. Is this a life threatening condition for my clownfish, or will he just live like a goby for the rest of his life? Thank you so much!

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the lights been off? Fish go into a trance like state at night if the lights come on suddenly they appear stunned.

fishrambo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had this problem and I also had peppermint shrimp but never no conclusion to what had happened sereveral years later n still no answers [emoji23].

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last night my clownfish started acting weird, but I went to bed thinking that he'd be fine in the morning. This morning I woke up to see him laying on the floor of my tank. I tried to gently lift him with the net, but he started swimming away. I watched him swim for a bit and noticed that whenever he stopped pedaling his fins he would start sinking immediately. He ended up getting tired and layed on the floor again. This is all out of the blue. The only new things in the tank are some xenia, a couple snails, and a peppermint shrimp. They were added on Saturday, and the only thing that seems to be acting weird is the peppermint shrimp- I can't find it anywhere. Could this be his doing? The place where I got them is really good with quarantining and dipping, so it shouldn't be a parasite. Is this a life threatening condition for my clownfish, or will he just live like a goby for the rest of his life? Thank you so much!

Sounds like the fins are either torn or completely gone. The shrimp could've done it. Do you have a picture? What antibiotics do you have on hand?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a video of what you are seeing?

OP
OP
Tatertot01

Tatertot01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Empress @Humblefish right now I'm not at home, but I'll post a video and picture as soon as I get home (it might be a while) if the fish hasn't passed yet (I hope not). This morning I was looking at the fins, so I know that they weren't torn of. Additionally, the peppermint shrimp is missing in a 10 gallon tank, so it might be dead. It was also pretty small, so I doubt it was him, but I'll keep an eye out. I don't have any fish-specific antibiotics.

fishrambo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well actually I also had 2 green chromis and 2 clowns put that shrimp in and 3 days later it had ate every snail and hermit I had in one day then for some reason on the 3rd morning everything dead and shrimp was the only thing left standing.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back