clownfish with cut next to lip

battman98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello amigos! I spotted a cut on my clownfish 2 days ago and i have been watching it. Doesnt seem to be getting better. I set up my qt today and wondering what i should add to qt to allow me to put my clown in asap. I have added some food, a piece of lr to boost cycle. Also what medicines should i use to help my clown heal faster? My clown is in a 20 gal with a blenny and 1 green chromis and skunk shrimp, 2 hermit crabs, 3 snails. I know small cuc but my tank is never dirty. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
battman98

battman98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a mocha clown if anybody wants to know. Trying to get pic but he is being stubborn and wont let me. I swear fish are like children. Hasnt been eating as usually. Swimming close to bottom and slow.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. A picture will be important here. I'm very sorry for your clownfish. Is the cut red and spreading? Go ahead and put him in the QT and get some serious aeration going in there. If it's infected (that's what the picture is for) then you'll want to dose antibiotics in there: kanaplex, furan 2, erthromycin ect. For now, focus on getting a decent picture of the cut for us so we can make sure nothing else is going on here.

OP
OP
battman98

battman98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. A picture will be important here. I'm very sorry for your clownfish. Is the cut red and spreading? Go ahead and put him in the QT and get some serious aeration going in there. If it's infected (that's what the picture is for) then you'll want to dose antibiotics in there: kanaplex, furan 2, erthromycin ect. For now, focus on getting a decent picture of the cut for us so we can make sure nothing else is going on here.
Ok i will get one on here tonight.

OP
OP
battman98

battman98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cut is reb but not spreading

OP
OP
battman98

battman98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1487473241851261275892.jpg
OK. sounds like it could be infected, but I want that picture before committing to it.
He started bleeding again while trying to get him in qt. But that has stopped. Will get more pics

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn't look like a cut. It looks like it's either a bacterial infection OR it's bleeding internally right there. I would suggest treating with this mix of medications. Kanaplex, Furan2 and Metroplex. You'll dose each according to the directions. I suggest doing a water change every other day re-dosing all three. You'll do this for a minimum of 10 days (even if he looks 100% better before that) and plan on it being a bit longer. Antibiotics are slow acting in fish.

OP
OP
battman98

battman98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you! I really do appreciate this. This is my first saltwater fish and i would hate to lose him

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you! I really do appreciate this. This is my first saltwater fish and i would hate to lose him

Any time. Keep checking in because @Humblefish will probably pop in and if he has another opinion on it, I would listen to it for sure.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any time. Keep checking in because @Humblefish will probably pop in and if he has another opinion on it, I would listen to it for sure.

I agree with using Kanaplex + Metroplex + Furan-2 for this situation.

The only thing I would tweak is possibly giving the fish either an Acriflavine or Methylene Blue bath prior to antibiotic treatment.

Click on the blue links (above) for more specific info on each treatment.

OP
OP
battman98

battman98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with using Kanaplex + Metroplex + Furan-2 for this situation.

The only thing I would tweak is possibly giving the fish either an Acriflavine or Methylene Blue bath prior to antibiotic treatment.

Click on the blue links (above) for more specific info on each treatment.
I couldnt find any of those products at either of my lfs so i got some melafix to use till the kanaplex, metroplex, and furan-2 come in.

OP
OP
battman98

battman98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. My clown was found dead today. The wound looked like it was healing then i found another gash on the top of his head on the same side. Just no bleeding from it.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. My clown was found dead today. The wound looked like it was healing then i found another gash on the top of his head on the same side. Just no bleeding from it.

I'm sorry to hear that :( . Did you try treating with the antibiotics we suggested?

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry about your clown battman. I'm wondering if you have something in your tank that did that to him. Especially since you found another gash on the top of his head.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 106 86.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back