College student starting a Nano Tank!

Vol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already maintain a small tank for a school project, but I will be leaving for college soon. As you cannot drive freshman year, I need to find a way to distill or acquire R.O water for my tank. Any ideas? It will be a 10 gallon tank with full spectrum lighting and several coral.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the ro buddie. You can hook it up to the tap in a bathroom or something and get a 2.5 gallon pail.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have your tap water tested for everything at the LFS: Ca, alk, Mg, NO3, PO4 at least. Not all tap water is horrible. Totally depends on your locality.

Or...

Design it for zero water changes

Or...

See if any of the local water delivery services (like Deer Park, but every locality seems to have one) will service your school location.....who knows, maybe they already do. :)

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can hook the input into the actual faucet head. That's how I have mine. It's hooked up to my kitchen sink. I just disconnect when I need to use the sink.
Only crappy part was I had to go tthrough Home Depot to get the connection because it comes with a connection to a garden hose.

OP
OP
Vol

Vol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can hook the input into the actual faucet head. That's how I have mine. It's hooked up to my kitchen sink. I just disconnect when I need to use the sink.
Only crappy part was I had to go tthrough Home Depot to get the connection because it comes with a connection to a garden hose.
Alright thanks man, I'll look into it

Mebeknob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bigger question... how will you get anything if you can't drive?

Second question.... why can't you drive freshman year?!

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to college and private schools, always took my nano tanks with me and that was 30 yrs ago. For a 10 gallon if you can not pull off a filtration system you can buy RO/DI at most walmart and such stores. Not going to lie keeping a SW in school will test your passion for the hobby.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not going to lie keeping a SW in school will test your passion for the hobby.

+1

Designing for no-waterchanges will help IMO. It'll lead to a lower bio-load.

A high bio-load is what makes most systems a bear to manage.

Low-bio-load can be nearly autonomous depending how far you're willing to go with the idea. :)

AMEE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 10 gallon has been running for over a year with two clownfish, anemone and some coral. I only do 2 gallon water changes. First few months I ran did water changes only, now I have a ac70 with a surface skimmer attachment. In there I run floss and chemipurenano and some rock rubble. I clean it maybe once a month.

AMEE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1481800704.833042.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back