Color LEDs

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. But keep in mind that, compared to a RB/CW fixture, blue and cyan ARE color LEDs. One thing that I've found helpful is to count all emitters under 500nm as blue and all color LEDs above 500nm as whites when working out a ratio of royal blue to white. I think a common mistake is to start with a set RB:W ratio, add x violets and y blues and then wonder why the final result is a fixture that is bluer than expected. Orange and red LEDs will indeed add warmth and balance the cool colors, that's why I add them to the white side of the ratio.

Holy Sunburn Batman....

Toss us a Pic of your tank using only LEDs that you recommend....

Orange and Red LEDs are suspects in Nuisance Algae...

Orange and Red are rendered to a low state of usefulness below 10 meters...

450-460nm has been proven to to grow coral...

Yes 420-430 is better but look at it this way...Just thinking out of the box....

Coral Photosynthesis is 100% efficiency at 420-430nm.... Available LEDs in this range are about 25% Efficient at given current compared to the latest generation of Cree and Luxion Royal Blue.

Coral Photosynthesis is about 70% Efficiency at 450nm...Which is better??? Provides more bang for the buck???

The final question is what grows best, looks best and is more efficient than current MH T5 Combinations...

Please toss us a pic of your tank...I'm a big tank guy and here is my pic of one of my tanks under LEDs w Cloud Movement 570 Cloud Movement.mpg - YouTube

And yes I was able to score a Red Carpet!!!

Months later and after a very bad encounter with with a MP-60 She is now much larger under our RB/W Mix of LEDs and is now hosting a bunch of Juvenal Black and White Clowns....Thank God my wife is not like that;)

Food For Thought

Bill

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pappy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can barely take pics never mind video but here's the best I got. Reds, greens, rb, cool white.
ahyqudym.jpg

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have red in my led and no algae problems. Actually i have a lack of nuisance algae. Even had bubble algae and cotton candy algae at one point.. all disappears, ime it's nutrient related not light related.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Last edited:

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Tanks

I have a few Red. 12 XP-E over the 570 Gal

I honestly can live without them as I barley notice the colour improvement if any.

I do know most DIY Algae scrubbers insist on them.

Bill

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red is used in photosynthesis by corals, and it gives (IMO) the tank a nice warm feeling/look (I have blocked out my reds before and the tank looks cold).. algae should be controlled by nutrient reduction (the reason it's there) not light (which only gives it the abilty to use nutrients). using light reduction treats the symptom not the underlying problem.. I have zero (that I can find anyway) pest algae in my DT..

my .02
Garrett

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy Sunburn Batman....

Yes 420-430 is better but look at it this way...Just thinking out of the box....

Coral Photosynthesis is 100% efficiency at 420-430nm.... Available LEDs in this range are about 25% Efficient at given current compared to the latest generation of Cree and Luxion Royal Blue.

Coral Photosynthesis is about 70% Efficiency at 450nm...Which is better??? Provides more bang for the buck???

The final question is what grows best, looks best and is more efficient than current MH T5 Combinations...

Please toss us a pic of your tank...I'm a big tank guy and here is my pic of one of my tanks under LEDs w Cloud Movement 570 Cloud Movement.mpg - YouTube

Months later and after a very bad encounter with with a MP-60 She is now much larger under our RB/W Mix of LEDs and is now hosting a bunch of Juvenal Black and White Clowns....Thank God my wife is not like that;)

Food For Thought

Bill

nice looking tank BTW :)

saltwaterpicaso

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had just whites and blues i swithed to a full spectrum and would never go back the tank looks so much better and corals look amazing.. the leds i used were all cree. neutral white, royal blue, blue, cyan, UV and red. i have the blues come on first then the whites then the otheres for a high noon effect for about two hours then they count down for the other 6 hours.

WillKatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some good stuff here. I just wanted to subscribe as I have been considering doing my own DIY light. What are people thoughts on what seems like one of the latest trends of combing T5 supplement to predominantly LED fixtures? I have seen a few manufactures such as ATI doing this.

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some good stuff here. I just wanted to subscribe as I have been considering doing my own DIY light. What are people thoughts on what seems like one of the latest trends of combing T5 supplement to predominantly LED fixtures? I have seen a few manufactures such as ATI doing this.

That is exactly what I want to do. I want my next fixture (either DIY or premade, doesn't matter much to me) to be mostly LED with T5 as supplement.. IMO that would be an excellent combo.

WillKatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy Sunburn Batman....

Food For Thought

Bill

In regards to cloud movement what is a healthy percentage of cloud coverage time? For example if you were to have a fixture such as the radion that you can dictate the perecentage chnce of cloud cover what should that be? I doubt this question is easily answered but thought Id throw it out there.

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In regards to cloud movement what is a healthy percentage of cloud coverage time? For example if you were to have a fixture such as the radion that you can dictate the perecentage chnce of cloud cover what should that be? I doubt this question is easily answered but thought Id throw it out there.

Depends on how high it is over the tank and the length of your 100% setting.

I have not measured the PAR and spread of the Radion

My tank is 200 PAR or 100% on the sand bed during tank time 10-3. The XP-Gs then come on randomly during this period and add about 25% more light to simulate the clouds.

Bill

saltyair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me the problem comes from to much blue leds drowning out the other colors. So color leds like red help counteract the highly blue tanks that most led users run and allow us to view those colors and have ur blue tank with all that pop. If u turn your blues.down youll get colors.more inline with a MH but with leds part of the appeal is the extra pop those high peaks provide.

I will admit I am not a diy - I wish I was lol. That being said I have created a small piece of reef that I think looks amazing and free of the unwanted algae. Some corals are thriving others are slow or have ups and downs.
I moved to LED's after much research and head scratching threads. I presently have white@7k and royal blue plus an addition 2 months ago of 50/50 royal blue. I have seen improvement to both coral growth after about 30 days. I was using t5's. From the research i added the 50/50 royal blues due to the photosynthesis needs of coral (400 to 500 nm)
This thread minus the hurt feelings - is amazing and is a wealth of knowledge - thank you to the people that took the time to educate and explain.

My question is (might be a stupid question) what is a 50/50 royal blue - whats the 50/50? could you run a mixed reef on only 50/50 royal blue?

This thread is a must read imo

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will admit I am not a diy - I wish I was lol. That being said I have created a small piece of reef that I think looks amazing and free of the unwanted algae. Some corals are thriving others are slow or have ups and downs.
I moved to LED's after much research and head scratching threads. I presently have white@7k and royal blue plus an addition 2 months ago of 50/50 royal blue. I have seen improvement to both coral growth after about 30 days. I was using t5's. From the research i added the 50/50 royal blues due to the photosynthesis needs of coral (400 to 500 nm)
This thread minus the hurt feelings - is amazing and is a wealth of knowledge - thank you to the people that took the time to educate and explain.

My question is (might be a stupid question) what is a 50/50 royal blue - whats the 50/50? could you run a mixed reef on only 50/50 royal blue?

This thread is a must read imo

They are referring to a mix of rb to white (preferably neutral white) at a 1:1 ratio. Most people like 2:1 better..

Fishinizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can go deadly into this but there needed for growth and getting the full spectrum corals need and are also produced in warm whites but not enough its very complicated but necessary.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Back