Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop rowa-phos
Heavy metals acumulates in sand so leave few quantity in your tank
Zeolite is the only way to bind heavy metals ,so use a zeolite filter it also reduce po4 but also reduce nutrients so add some amino for your corals
And sorry for my english

There are other metal binding products.

So Randy based on the results of this test - do you see anything harmful in my water chemistry that will affect corals ? Its been almost close to 2 years that I have not been able to add corals to my tank and I was expecting this test would provide me some concrete answers..

If not - what would be the steps in diagnosing the problem...secondly can there be some infection or microbes in the water/live rock that keep infecting the corals that I add to the tank ?

What types of corals do not thrie?

Last edited:
OP
OP
sunshinereefer

sunshinereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are other metal binding prod - Can you clarify further ...? Is it possible for the refugium bed also to blame ? Do folks still consider refugium to be beneficial :)

What types of corals do not thrie?
The only ones currently thriving are a colony of blasto and a small torch (both LPS).
Zoas/Palys,and SPS are the ones I am having problem with and probably there are 2 different reasons for each of them.

bios

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi randy
I consider heavy metals underestimated problem of our era not only for fish tanks but for human health
Sure this is a forum of reef and we talk about fish and corals so
Helps to identify other way of metals binding will give an help to me

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The products one can use to bind certain heavy metals from reef tanks include Metasorb by Two Little Fishies and a Polyfilter.

I'm not sure either will bind aluminum, but aluminum is not a heavy metal. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only ones currently thriving are a colony of blasto and a small torch (both LPS).
Zoas/Palys,and SPS are the ones I am having problem with and probably there are 2 different reasons for each of them.

It could be chemical, but it might be lots of other things, including pathogens, flow, lighting, etc.

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following...I'm having similar experiences. My tank is two years old and corals struggle to live more than a few months, those that do are slow to grow or digress soon after. I will be doing another ICP test in a few weeks because I just switched to Core 7.

OP
OP
sunshinereefer

sunshinereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following...I'm having similar experiences. My tank is two years old and corals struggle to live more than a few months, those that do are slow to grow or digress soon after. I will be doing another ICP test in a few weeks because I just switched to Core 7.

Nothing has changed for me - almost given up - it’s running fine as FOWLR

Mike Sydney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same reported by Triton , but the problem was the result they reported exceeded and maximum solubility of Barium in Sea Water. tried to tell they that , but as you know Germans are always right. Got the same water tested with
ICP by someone else . And surprise no high Barium result

Back