Cooking Liverock Question

colinadam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 large pieces of liverock (Large to me is like 8-10# each, nano-reefer here :) ) and they are growing this nasty macro/caluerpa mix seen here:

TubsBirdsnest-WYSIWYG.jpg

So I want to pull those pieces and try to scrub off as much as possible. Now odds are the stuff would come back.

Would cooking (Placing rock in a bucket with no light with a heater and flow) eliminate this algae long term?

Has anyone ever "cooked" liverock like this and if so what do you think of the process?

Thanks

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if you cook it they can grow again. You need to fix the source of the problem. Could be phoshate, lights, anything?

OP
OP
colinadam

colinadam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it started when I mounted some paly's to some dried out rubble and put it in my tank, this nasty algae took off from there and spread to my main rockwork. Before I realized what was going on it was to late.

I got a Tunze Skimmer on the way, plan on setting that puppy up this weekend which will help. Also my RO/DI could use some attention, have new prefilters, DI and a membrane which will also be installed shortly.

So with cooking the rock there is no guarantee it will eliminate the algae totally? I really don't want to bleach these two pieces as they have some nice coraline growth.

Thanks for the help Hypertek.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back