Copepod explosion! Couple of questions

scoopsthedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 50 gallon with sump tank went full cycle I had dry rock and dry sand. Waited about five weeks. I then transferred some of the live rock from my 25 gallon which was up and running for over five months. I have a refugium and have been using Bacto Balls for two weeks. Every square inch of my sand bed is crawling with copepods. I am assuming that at a certain point whatever they are feeding off of will start to be consumed and the population will stabilize. However I would love to get a Mandarin but want to make sure that there will be enough food here for him. I can very easily purchase copepods from my lfs and replenish if necessary. I know most people say to wait six months to a year any thoughts?

OP
OP
scoopsthedog

scoopsthedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other question - I am using reef roids to feed my coral every few days would that be a food supply for them?

OP
OP
scoopsthedog

scoopsthedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When tanks are new, they have a lot of food for copepods. These die back, however, so wait until your tank stabilizes more.

Thanks for the reply. If there are still a bunch after another 4 weeks is it safe to say they have stabilized in population?

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. If there are still a bunch after another 4 weeks is it safe to say they have stabilized in population?
Stabilize as in 6 months+
A tank isnt stable after cycling. The balance comes after the alk/calcium reach a nice equilibrium. As a rule I use for myself...a tank isnt stable until it starts growing its own corraline algae. For two of my tanks, it was 5 months. For the other it was 8 months.
The problem with pods is that the initial bacteria/algae bloom will give them TONS of food but when your tank "stabilizes" theyre will be little algae for them to consume and there will be die off. This is assuming you dont have a refugium connected to the tank. If you do, I assume you could keep the colony you have as long as the fuge is big enough.

colonelgreen92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other question - I am using reef roids to feed my coral every few days would that be a food supply for them?
I am also wondering this. I have a good amount and want to continue to have s good population of pods. I made a mandarin and a red ruby. They are always eating.

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they also called "scuds" I think so but not certain. Guy at LFS calls them "scuds".

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back