Copperband Butterfly

Aretes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0b79a6b8e2ed4c07ea3bb0de41db9120.jpg

I'm on day 2 of TTM and while feeding today I noticed that the fish had a red blotch on the side. As well as a slight red on the base of his pectoral fins. I've been doing lots of research leading up to this purchase and have waited a while waiting for one that seemed to have a good appetite. I would hate to lose this fish and I would really appreciate any help. On a side note, the fish seems to stay at a 45 degree angle at night but is vertical during the day, should I be worried about this?

OP
OP
A

Aretes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also in the process of getting better pictures

OP
OP
A

Aretes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacterial infection, very common in new butterflyfish. This is the best stuff I've used for treating red marks on butterflies: http://store.nationalfishpharm.com/NFP-products-Nitrofuracin-Green-59584.Item.html

Kanaplex and/or Furan-2 are other treatment options.

Thank you, would General Aid work? I've used it before on a naso tang with a bacterial infection. It states on the bottle that it'll work against bacterial diseases such as finrot, lesions, ulcers, sores, and general debility.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, would General Aid work? I've used it before on a naso tang with a bacterial infection. It states on the bottle that it'll work against bacterial diseases such as finrot, lesions, ulcers, sores, and general debility.

Do you mean API General Cure? That medication is better for deworming; the metronidazole component of it only targets anaerobic bacteria.

OP
OP
A

Aretes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean API General Cure? That medication is better for deworming; the metronidazole component of it only targets anaerobic bacteria.

No I have Petcetra General Aid, and it is OLD. I couldn't find an expiry date on it but I used it a while back while I was in a pinch before I knew any better.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I have Petcetra General Aid, and it is OLD. I couldn't find an expiry date on it but I used it a while back while I was in a pinch before I knew any better.

Meds have an expiration date. I dont think I'd use that. You really want an antibiotic here. The meds Humble suggested are your best bet here. In my experience, you want to act quickly to start treating that because they can go downhill quickly after you first see the red spot.

OP
OP
A

Aretes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish @melypr1985
Hi, after doing the recommended treatments of kanaplex the fish has recovered completely on one side. But the other side had deteriorated badly and the fish has lost some appetite and weight as well. Is there anything else I can do? Here's a picture
41a5d3c37bdd2ea3e262a41af742c2c4.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish @melypr1985
Hi, after doing the recommended treatments of kanaplex the fish has recovered completely on one side. But the other side had deteriorated badly and the fish has lost some appetite and weight as well. Is there anything else I can do? Here's a picture
41a5d3c37bdd2ea3e262a41af742c2c4.jpg

OK. So looking back I see two treatment options suggested. Did you do the General Cure? Or the Kanaplex?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just kanaplex.

Ok. It might be time to put him in QT with a combination of meds to get that infection. Kanaplex+furan2+Metroplex will cover a very wide spectrum and should knock that out if we get to it in time.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. It might be time to put him in QT with a combination of meds to get that infection. Kanaplex+furan2+Metroplex will cover a very wide spectrum and should knock that out if we get to it in time.

Another antibiotic combo that seems to work particularly well on butterflies is this: http://store.nationalfishpharm.com/NFP-products-Nitrofuracin-Green-59584.Item.html

Nitrofurazone is one of the main ingredients, and that is also the active ingredient for Furan-2. So go with Furan-2 if that can be obtained sooner. Also, when treating for a bacterial disease/infection you must use antibiotics for 10 consecutive days.

OP
OP
A

Aretes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help, I've just added some furan 2. Can I still use kanaplex for 10 days? The package says to use 3 doses of 2 days.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help, I've just added some furan 2. Can I still use kanaplex for 10 days? The package says to use 3 doses of 2 days.

Yes you can

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back